Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
thanks for your kind help WFab i really appreciat it.

Here are the resolution settings in the two tabs. Is it possible that I have the wrong version? I have the full build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r894j1e9wmt5ufq/WM_Resolutions.jpg?dl=0

I don't see any other resolution dial in tiled build settings, aside from the main tile resolutions.

I don't see any resolution setting exclusively for render extents either.

Do you mean layout view interactive resolution?

Please post pictures of what's confusing you.
Thank you for your help WFab

so I notice that there is a Resolution Dial in the Render Extents tab as well as a tile resolution under the Tiled Build tab.

What is the difference between the two, do they both need to be set and what do they affect.

Does one perhaps affect the size of exported textures and the other affect the resolution of the landscape maybe? I'm very confused as two why there would need to be two distinct resolution settings?
Bug Reports and Help / Re: WM Pro not showing startup Nodes
« Last post by WFab on September 29, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
World machine opens a file called "startup.tmd" in the main install directory. Check if you have that file, and open it manually. If it opens a blank document, you saved a blank startup file in original's place. Ask for someone to share the original, and replace it.
They are different things entirely. Render extents kinda define the extents of your world. By default, your main extent is your world, and you build it into "tiles", it just gets split into multiple pieces.

So in short,

1.) No, one does not negate the other, and

2.) Like I said, render extents have to do with your current world. So if you created a custom extent to isolate, say, a single mountain from a bigger terrain, say, an island, You will only split that one mountain into 8x8tiles on export. Make sure your whole terrain is your current render extent. If you did not change the extents anyway, just do nothing with regards to that. Just edit your tile settings and build tiled world.

The purpose of render extent is to go deeper and create most complex terrains you can imagine. It's like a "focus tool", so you can look at a biome closer. And it's used by the layout tool as well. If you don't wanna get into those, don't. It has nothing to do with tiling.
hi there
I am very confused about the relatioship between the Render extents tab and the Tiled Build Options tab.

1. does one negate the need for the other.
2. if inside the Tiled Build Tab, I am making an 8x8 tile set at a custom resolution of 4033x4033 for UE4, do I have to do anything with regards to the Render Extents tab too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give to me.
Geology and Terrain / Making an entire continent and exporting it to UE4? Possible?
« Last post by Grine on September 26, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
Hi everyone.
I am a hobbyist but I have a little experience with Unity.
Just not with World Machine and UE4.

With Unity there was a tool called Gaia that allowed me to create 8k to 8k map and customize it in the engine by stamping different height maps built into the tool to add mountains, hills or dunes to the ground mesh.
All within a single tile. No idea how practical it was for a real game but it was fun and easy to build. Whats more it had a procedural generation of trees, textures, grass, bushes, rocks and etc...
It did a bulk of the mundane work which allowed me to focus more on the details and map issues.

With World Machine Basic I was able to make 505 to 505 island map for UE4.
And I got it into UE4 as shown on the image below:
https://i.imgur.com/CGIv3zU.png

My question is did I miss any steps? What do I do from here to make this island look realistic? Are there any tools to generate all the textures, bushes and trees? If I want to make changes to the island like make it less round or... just create an entire continent the size of Skyrim and have a system proceduraly generate the entire map's textures and assets.
What and how do I achieve these results? You know besides paying a thousand dollars in software or quitting my day job to get this done?

Thank you everyone for your time.
I really appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide. :)
PS. this is for a non-commercial project.
Geology and Terrain / Re: Far Apart mountain ranges
« Last post by sfriedberg on September 26, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »
Use a very large scale, smooth random texture (e.g., Perlin with large feature size, low octaves, low persistence)  as a mask.  Tune it so you get nice linear stretches with a width about one mountain's worth and a length appropriate for a mountain range, rather than roundish blobs.  Experiment with combining multiple Perlins with the same settings, but offset along the natural axis for mountain ranges, or with non-uniform XY scaling.  Multiply this mask times your mountain range texture.
Guest Forum / Re: Some questions, just downloaded the device, holy shit
« Last post by WFab on September 26, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
1. There's a node called "file input". You can import grayscale heightmaps, or rgb maps (by default, brightness value will be used as height). You can also set it to interpret as rgb, in which case color values will be preserved.
2. If you have the heightmap to that existing terrain, yes. World machine is very widely used in the game industry, due to the flexibility it offers when editing existing terrain data. You can also create your own features and add them to the existing heightmap in any way you want.
3. I seem to have already answered that in "2", but lets elaborate a bit. There is a concept called "masking", which is the core modelling tool you will use a lot at advanced stages. You can select an area, isolate it, add to it, add a specific effect only to it, whatever! Each device has a mask input, where you can input a black and white mask. The effect will only be applied to the white areas.
4. If you already know the fundamentals of manipulating digital color data, you are halfway done already. WM is a height map based terrain creation tool, you can use grayscale maps in infinite ways, including using it for terrain elevation.
5. What you are working on is a square, 32 bit raw image data, the moment you create something in wm. You can export this as a mesh, but essentially it's still just an image file, converted to mesh. There are a lot of output formats, I export mostly 16 bit float Tiff heightmaps, and 8 bit tiff colormaps. Use them anywhere, it's just a 2D color or grayscale image.

I hope that answers your questions. I'd recommend digging into the tools first, it's easier to answer questions that are specific and categorical. Also, do join the fb group, linked in your other post. Enjoy!
This forum hasn't been very active this year, although some people like me keep checking in. I don't know about The Hague, but we have a world machine group on facebook that you can join. Maybe you find it easier to navigate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldmachine.software

Hope to see you there soon!  :)

Note: To other people joining the group using this link, do read the group description before joining. This forum is still the only official platform.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]