Author Topic: 3.0.dev2 Released  (Read 6246 times)

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
3.0.dev2 Released
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:43:23 AM »
A small update keeping the dev build up to date, including the following:

* Multithreading support for expander, voronoi, bias/gain, and terrace
* Increased thread maximum from 32 to 256 (UI only allows up to 4*#processors)
* File Input fixed to produce the proper (requested) type in all circumstances
* BT format support now extended to older versions of the format
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:38:55 PM by Remnant »
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0.dev2 Released
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »
This is really nice - Thanks!

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
Awesome. Thank you for new build.

gigigonzalez1988

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Thats awesome. And yeah voronoi was also one of the slower devices, but by far not as slow as expander :p

Great work dude, appreciated. This program is just pure awesomeness, hope more good things are on the way soon :D

Perhaps for christmas ? :p
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
+1 for x-mas awesomness  :D

ilbiffi

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:47 AM »

Does anyone know how to actually use all those threads? is there a cloud service that lets you build a 256 cores machine? afaik amazon and azure arrive at 32 cores max.

gigigonzalez1988

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »
Damn cant wait for the next Dev version  :P
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

ronan.thibaudau

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »

Does anyone know how to actually use all those threads? is there a cloud service that lets you build a 256 cores machine? afaik amazon and azure arrive at 32 cores max.

No cloud won't help you there as it's a "lot of mid size machines", it doesn't help you automagically make bigger machines, you just need one single really big server (way above what you can rent) to make good use of 256 threads (128 core intel with HT would get you that, at 8 proc maximum you'd need 8 processor 16 core each with HT enabled). Pricey config but doable. I think the move to 256 was to future proof it but it definately is usable now (i know i requested it because the 32 limit was way too low for me, and i may make use of the 256 limit soon, but unlikely to go above before a few years).

ilbiffi

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 06:31:21 AM »

No cloud won't help you there as it's a "lot of mid size machines", it doesn't help you automagically make bigger machines, you just need one single really big server (way above what you can rent) to make good use of 256 threads (128 core intel with HT would get you that, at 8 proc maximum you'd need 8 processor 16 core each with HT enabled). Pricey config but doable. I think the move to 256 was to future proof it but it definately is usable now (i know i requested it because the 32 limit was way too low for me, and i may make use of the 256 limit soon, but unlikely to go above before a few years).

Can you share your setup and where did you get it?

ronan.thibaudau

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »

Can you share your setup and where did you get it?

Currently i rent this when i need heavy lifting, it's not quite good enough but i don't want to buy untill i see a final V3 version with a final dev kit so i can test my complex graphs and see how they scale

https://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/enterprise/2014-MG-256.xml

It's only 40 threads / 256GB of ram however, so if you want bigger you need to buy something custom (either a heavy server or roll your own with something like a 8way supermicro motherboard)

ajbombadill

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
Does this mean I can add in an Intel Psi Coprocessor card to increase my cores from 32 to 89 and they will all be used?
WMPro 3.0dev x64, Win 10 Pro Prev Build 10525, Motherboard ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS, CPU (2x) Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors,Video EVGA Superclocked TITAN X, Memory 196 GB ECC, CoolerMaster 1500w PS, 4K Samsung 50"

sfriedberg

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
Does this mean I can add in an Intel Psi Coprocessor card to increase my cores from 32 to 89 and they will all be used?
No.

The Xeon Phi does not add any cores to your CPU(s), nor does it run the standard programs that run on your CPU(s).  It is essentially a single-board computer that just happens to fit into a PCI-E slot for power and I/O access.  Programs to run on the Xeon Phi require special programming, must be explicitly loaded into the Xeon Phi, and then communication between the Xeon Phi and the host computer (to get data in and out, for instance) has to be explicitly programmed (or use a net/Web interface hosted internally on the Xeon Phi).

The sweet spot for the Xeon Phi is very, very narrow.  It will not play games faster.  It will not 3D render faster.  It will not make your host computer faster.  But if you are pricing financial derivatives, and you've already paid the world's best programmers to optimize the code for a Xeon professional workstation, the Xeon Phi might get you a 3x to 4x speed boost, if you pay those programmers to port the code from Xeon to Xeon Phi.