Author Topic: 3.build3011 Available : Changelist  (Read 6223 times)

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
3.build3011 Available : Changelist
« on: September 16, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
Update includes the follow new features and fixes:

* Expander device has new methods, distance now specified in meters.
* UDIM support for tiled import/export in the PRO edition
* More devices now have multiprocessing support, including Basic Perlin, Gradient generator
* All generators gain a distortion/placement input with support for better distortion, non-uniform scaling, and rotation. The current UI for this is external to the device; this may be modified with time.
* Some crash bug fixes, thank you for your crash reports!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:34:56 PM by Remnant »
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

sfriedberg

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0.riverpreview3 Upcoming Changelist
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
<applauds>

Tovrin

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0.riverpreview3 Upcoming Changelist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
Any updates as to when the full release is out?
Rebuilding Britannia .. one stone at a time

Heileif

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: 3.build3011 Available : Changelist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Thx for the UDIM support! YOU ROCK!!!!!! :D

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »
How does UDIM support work?
What to use it for???

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 05:48:39 AM »
Any documentation, at least?

Please, need explaination on this topic!

bvz

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »
Disclaimer:  I have no idea how UDIM's work in WM.

But, I can tell you what UDIM's do in a VFX CGI pipeline.  UDIM's are a way of splitting a single mesh up into multiple UV tiles.  Imagine you had a CG character.  You could have a single mesh for the entire character, but a separate UV tile for the hands, face, and body for example.  The face might be in UV space of U0-U1 (V0).  The body could be in U1-U2 (V0).  The hands could be in U2-U3 (V0).  In these cases the "UDIM" is just a number that tells the rendering program which map to use for which tile.  The UDIM numbers for these three tiles would be 1001, 1002, 1003*.

So, in our example above, we would have the following maps:

diffuse.1001.tif
diffuse.1002.tif
diffuse.1003.tif

Each one of these would have the texture maps for that particular UDIM (face, body, hands) painted as though it were in 0-1 UV space.  But when you apply these maps in the renderer, you only have to tell it that the character's diffuse maps are (for example): 

diffuse.<UDIM>.tif

instead of selecting each sub-patch (face, body, hands) and loading a specific map for that particular object.

The renderer will then get to a patch on the character, look up where the UV's are, find out that they are (for example) in UDIM 1002, and then load the color information from that map (diffuse.1002.tif).

To understand the utility of this, imagine a single mesh with over 100 UDIM's on it.  Instead of selecting each and every sub-patch and the applying one map for each channel (i.e. diffuse, spec, reflection, roughness, bump, displacement, normals) - which would mean you have to apply by hand over 700 maps - you can simply point each channel to a single "map" using the "<UDIM>" notation and have the renderer automatically load the correct map for the correct patch for you.  In other words, you just have to do seven assignments and everything just auto-applies at render time.

Ultimately this is similar to just about any other tiled UV system (face-sets, u#-v#, etc.) that is out there.  It is just that this particular notation has gained the most traction (mostly because of the Foundry's Mari application which, I think, first introduced it).

So, if you are rendering with a renderer that understands UDIM's, you could output hundreds of tiles from WM and have them automatically place themselves in the correct location on a mesh that has been similarly divided up in UV space.

TL;DR
It is a way of automatically applying tiled images to a single mesh that contains tiled UV ranges.

* (UDIM numbers are not super logical at first glance.  They basically are numbered from the bottom left and go:  1001, 1002 ... 1010, 1011, 1012...1020, 1021, 1022 ... etc.   They start at 1001 and go up to 10 tiles to the right, then move up from there).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:18:50 PM by bvz »

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
Thanks for the in depth explaination - I got a clue about UDIMs before, but:

Disclaimer:  I have no idea how UDIM's work in WM

still counts ;) Maybe I should have formulated, better.

How does UDIM workflow look in WM? I mean, normally you got a terrain-mesh with single 0-1 UV coords.
How you use UDIMīs in WM?

Examples, please!

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
Still looking for the full release as well. Or any release.

Is Steven still alive? last post was 4 months ago. Stranger things have happened.

Steven, would you sell the source? :)

Seriously, I love WM, and I'd really like to see active development.

I could really use spherical mapped terrain ...

== John ==

unity2k

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 06:53:46 AM »
Add five more months since the author of World-Machine has posted, this really does beg the question if the developer is alive or still connected to this project.