Author Topic: Importing roads and generating terrain around it  (Read 1463 times)

Lucas L

Importing roads and generating terrain around it
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
Hi there, I've made a road/race track inside blender for a racing simulation game, but I'm not satisfied with the mountains and valleys I've created. I'm wondering if it's possible to import just the roads into WM and re-create the whole landscape around the roads? The road surface itself is rather intricate and cannot be changed, it'll have to be the landscape which would wrap around it.

I love the results from WM, if this is indeed possible I'd love to buy it and re-make my track with it.

Xenobite

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: Importing roads and generating terrain around it
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
you can't import the road mesh into WM (as 3d model) but what you can do is

in 3d app apply planar texture projection from "side view", then use some "unlit/constant" material (I use XSI so I'm not sure how those are named in blender)
and apply gradient texture from black to white where white color is at the top and black at the bottom

* you might want to add some flat plane mesh under your road mesh for "reference" and later sizing of terrain

then render top view as 16 bit per channel image (tiff or png or something like that)
also render "alpha/mask" for that road mesh (also top view)

you can import this road heightmap and mask in WM and you can use these to blend terrain with your road (as close as you can)

in WM you should also use clamping to set the "height range" that your road is supposed to use

to make smoother blend with road you can play with levels/curves/clamps and BLUR to increase mask and smooth it

when youre done with terrain, export it as heightmap to displace subdivided plane in blender or export as OBJ

back in blender, you will have to play with your exported terrain mesh a bit to fit your road mesh as best you can (moving and streching) and then you can try reducing polycount or such on the mesh and blend road mesh with your terrain mesh (manualy) in case you want your road mesh and terrain to be one single mesh

there are many other workflows and tools you can use to combine these - depends on where you want to use your terrain and road mesh

for example you can use unity and some road making asset or Unreal engine 4 etc...