Author Topic: Dev Silent in Forum and Blog  (Read 12114 times)

unity2k

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Dev Silent in Forum and Blog
« on: September 18, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
Nothing posted in the forum from the Dev/Author of World-Machine in close to a year and not a single blog entry in OVER a year, feels unfair to be able to purchase or upgrade the software when there is no way to know if it is still in development or being maintained. The reason I'm curious is that Quadspinner is releasing an update to Geoglyph and my last version of that wasn't fully compatible with the dev version of World-Machine.

Fat_Bob

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Silent in Forum and Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
Is anyone on here in contact with Dax Pandhi at Quadspinner?
If so, perhaps they could inquire whether he has had any contact with Stephen in the last six months?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:28:47 AM by Fat_Bob »

unity2k

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:34:26 AM »
This is what they wrote to me on Facebook -- "QuadSpinner: Stephen has indeed been very quiet, but as we understand the software is still under development. We're looking forward to the next 3.0 build. In the meantime, we'll pass on the message that users are eager to get an update from him."

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
... do not care about WM for about 1/2 year = "very quiet" :lol: Dax must be a role-model of an optimistic person ^^

really sad - after switching to the new license model, there was like.. what.. zero updates? so ppl paid money for vaporware, because the license grants updates for 1 year - but there were non. 2.3.7 (2014-10-23) is still latest stable release, if I am not mistaken.

sorry Stephen, but this looks and feels like a total ripp-off to me.

banging on the drum, new features were announced, new licensing, promises of more frequent updates and so on... but things remain silent - I mean .. really???

meanwhile, advertise-bots for asian industrial machines are taking over this forum  :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:56:46 AM by Onkelpoe »

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Well Quadspinner is telling us that the dev is still active, but it's in their interest to do so, if they would tell us that Stephen stopped working on WM people would move onto the next software and leave Quadspinners products in the dust too

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
This could be possible - I read about upcomming Geoglyphe 2.0 and 1.x is discounted now, untill 16th Oct.

Fat_Bob

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 03:23:40 AM »
Unsubstantiated rumour....

Ive just had an email from Cornucopia3D stating that the new version of Vue is going to have a brand new heightfield generator (at long last!)- creating landforms with shape, splines etc and proper erosion...

You don't think...

Is this where Stephen has been for the last six months.....?

Just a wild guess and/or conspiracy theory...

From the site:-

"With VUE 2016, we're introducing a brand new terrain modeling technology, more flexible and a lot more powerful, called "Heightfield Terrains".

This new technology allows you to add terrain effects that were previously impossible to achieve, such as Hydrological & Thermal Simulations!

Similar to procedural terrains, Heightfield Terrains are based on a function graph, but baked on a fixed-resolution grid. This will give you more flexibility and add more realism to your terrains. Heightfield Terrains are also significantly faster to render!

Heighfield terrains are manually sculptable and parameters can be animated - e.g. to simulate a terrain erosion over time for instance!

And finally, you can easily set up your graph outputs to drive your material presence, directly from within the Terrain Editor interface.
The Heightfield Terrains technology comes with its set of new dedicated nodes and presets, like Erosion, Slope, Convexity, Blur or Terrace.

New Layout Nodes also let you design a terrain's "layout" (most prominent features) using hand-drawn elements like Splines, elements from the scene, or simple shapes (circles, rectangles, rounded rectangles)."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:33:54 AM by Fat_Bob »

JavaJones

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://oshyan.ashundar.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 01:47:43 PM »
If Stephen is working for Vue now, I'll eat my hat (note: I don't wear hats :D ).

I'm confused though, didn't Vue have a terrain editor before, and didn't it support "heightfield terrains"?
Oh yes, indeed: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/wiki/Vue/index.php/Documentation/Building_Scenes/Creating_Objects/Terrains
I guess they used to be called "standard terrains" and Vue 6 "introduced" these "heightfield terrains". History repeating itself?
https://books.google.com/books?id=ALLpAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=vue+heightfield+terrains&source=bl&ots=ttDy_mjO5F&sig=t_Lkr7TYbEuTQtyJ8KJq2leD6BY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA9tj7ys7PAhVE6WMKHQD_BjAQ6AEILTAC#v=onepage&q=vue%20heightfield%20terrains&f=false

OK, naming confusion aside, is it the spline functionality that is new? Oh wait, no...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy_TWDkIDzk
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/wiki/Vue/index.php/Documentation/Tutorials/Elaborate_Feature_Tutorials/Creating_a_Road_Using_a_Spline

Is it erosion that's new? No, wait, thermal erosion (and 7 other types) were there before:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/wiki/Vue/index.php/Documentation/The_Editors/Terrain_Editor/Editing_Terrains#Erosion_Effects

Man, this is really confusing. What, exactly, is new? I don't doubt they are doing something new here, the announcement just doesn't make clear what it is!

- Oshyan

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
Well Quadspinner is telling us that the dev is still active, but it's in their interest to do so, if they would tell us that Stephen stopped working on WM people would move onto the next software and leave Quadspinners products in the dust too

Got an email, announcing GeoGlyphe 2.0 this weekend ;)

Fat_Bob

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 02:15:54 AM »
Oshyan, the problem is not that Vue didn't have terrain creation and erosion, but that they were and still are SHIT.
This has needed addressing for many years now.

Why do you think everyone uses World Machine!

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 02:22:26 AM »
You're right Oshyan, it seems to me that the same features have been renamed to follow convention, and erosion has been slightly improved. Vue did not have completely unified interface before, so using splines for shaping the terrain was not very straightforward. Maybe they improved that workflow and renamed it layouts? It's a really disappointing news to be honest.

JavaJones

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 12:39:19 PM »
Onkelpoe, I already tried calling him some months ago (left a message), and sent multiple emails and even a Facebook message. I'm not close enough to just drop-in at is house, otherwise I might consider it... I'm pretty sure he's still alive. :D But for some reason not responsive. It's quite strange and sad...

- Oshyan

Mauri

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • eden Screensaver
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:15 AM »
@Onkelpoe I wouldn't post the Whois here, since this forum is public (everyone can see it without being signed up/logged in).

QuantumTheory

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Theory Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
I'm sorry to see this happening. Glad I didn't subscribe. The lack of updates before the new subscription model was suspicious already.

There is likely room for legal action if a subscriber wants to pursue it. Or, at least a ping with Seattle's Better Business Bureau.
Quantum Theory Entertainment
Providing AAA-quality digital art solutions for video games and interactive media.
Quantum Theory Entertainment Website

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »
Now I officially dislike this situation. Never seen such a case in my life but this... For a long time I just said to myself, hey, they might just have some personal difficulties or something, it'll be fine. But no... it looks like a complete rip off. So much was promised, many features, and nothing delivered. Sorry, but should have at least left a way for people to get a refund.

If you tell people something has happened and you can't continue the development that's one thing, I know the difficulties that can happen to one person mid development. But if you just disappear on your customers because you felt like doing so oh well I don't have a word for that in my book.

The only reason I'm trying to keep calm is because of GeoGlyph 1-2, which is still like a "pay to get updates" service and isn't nice (we should've had all those stuff in the form of official WM2 updates by now) but anyway it helps with the pain of an outdated tool a little.

Heck one day WM2 stops working on the newer versions of windows and there's not going to be an update for that as well. It's horrible.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:39:59 PM by Maximum-Dev »

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »
so let´s hope we´ll have even better and more artist-friendly tools by then

blattacker

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
On the geoglyph Facebook page, the developer says that he's contact with the wm dev, and that updates are still happening. He didn't give much more detail than that, though.

JavaJones

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
On the geoglyph Facebook page, the developer says that he's contact with the wm dev, and that updates are still happening. He didn't give much more detail than that, though.

Where did he say that and did he specifically say he was *currently* in touch, or had been *in the past*?

Fat_Bob

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 04:34:24 AM »
Remnant last active October 26, 2016, 05:52:16 PM

He Lives!

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
...or at least someone who has access to his account.