Author Topic: New releases  (Read 5381 times)

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
New releases
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
Is there any developing going on? IT seems to be very quiet for a long time...
Should I save money for the next update?
I need the next version with nonmodal/dockable window, urgently...!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:50:57 AM by Hotshot »

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New releases
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »
Seems a little bit like the old story, that we need to post a bunch of time in success to get Stephen involved with his userbase here.

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:48 AM »
Stephen...are you still alive?

Oi

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
Stephen...are you still alive?

Yes I am certainly alive :p Jokes :3 We just happens to have the same name XD

Chariots

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • Northern Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »
Personally, with the river tool released (even if it is just a dev channel update), I don't see a reason to renew. While I got the value out of my original license, updates have been so infrequent that I do not see a point of getting a renewal.

Next big feature for me would be GPU support, there is literally no alternative for that on the market right now. I'd buy a new license for that (not just a renewal).

olento

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »
I really hope Stephen will reconsider this new licensing model. Just to make my point more clear, this was from the original 3.x announcement:

"By making more frequent small and focused releases, we can better align what we produce with what you need, as well as get critical fixes out much faster"

Yet, since moving to 3.x, we initially got 3 dev releases on very short cycle, then almost year passed before river tool and now it seems to be same thing happening again. Now almost 2 years after the announcement, there isn't even single version out that's officially marked as stable.

It really doesn't look like 3.x updates are rolling out frequently either, which makes the actual maintenance almost obsolete. How it looks like now is that there isn't much actual development going on (if there is, we don't know about it as there hasn't been any updates on forums/blog) but there's still maintenance plan for paying customers that will eventually run out regardless if they got anything during it which just in my opinion isn't fair at all. Since updates are so infrequent, current maintenance can be compared to throwing a dice for what you get with your plan, which really isn't how software licensing should work (again in my opinion). You should reward your customers rather than punish those who happen to purchase the license on unfortunate moment when updates aren't rolling.

I know there was talk about rephrasing the 3.x deal so that people should only buy the maintenance when there's enough new features to justify the purchase but at current update speed, it's almost all there is to it.

I still think it would be more fair for customers to have the old way of users getting free upgrades for minor versions and if there are enough new major features, then put a new major version and charge upgrade fee from it. If there's enough content and features for next version, people will buy it.

Of course it's his software and he can license it however he likes. I know for one that I'm personally postponing my standard to pro upgrade until the very last moment I absolutely need those pro feats because of this new licensing model (that is, unless there'll be some game changing new feature that makes it immediately worth it). If I knew beforehand I'd get all 3.x releases, I could safely upgrade to pro right away. If there are more people who think this way, it would mean that current licensing is potentially hurting the overall sales.

As additional note. The main webpage hasn't been updated for ages which makes the software look like it's been abandoned. Last news on http://www.world-machine.com/ is for 2.3.7 with date of October 23, 2014. Another oddity is that purchase page doesn't mention this new 3.x or it's maintenance plan at all. Purchase page itself is only about old 2.x license. I only mention this because if truly worried about sales and income, updating the main page could really help there.

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
Agreed.

More frequent updates certainly was missed.

Maybe we should build an open source version!

== John ==

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Stephen!?

Are you alive???

Hello???

Chariots

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • Northern Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
Soo...

Just saw this: http://www.world-creator.com/for-windows-mac-and-linux/
Apparently unity version already released: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55073

PROFESSIONAL VERSION
Procedural CPU Generation
Procedural GPU Generation (Windows and DirectX11 Required)
Realtime Terrain Generation (Even for 8192 Map Sizes)

Seems they are aiming for 9/2016 for the standalone version. I hadn't heard about this app before, and the first version seems to have gotten "mixed" opinions. Still, it looks like they'll be the first GPU accelerated commercial terrain software. Going to wait for the beta/release reception before preordering/buying.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:25:36 PM by Chariots »

Kivak

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »
Soo...

Just saw this: http://www.world-creator.com/for-windows-mac-and-linux/
Apparently unity version already released: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55073

PROFESSIONAL VERSION
Procedural CPU Generation
Procedural GPU Generation (Windows and DirectX11 Required)
Realtime Terrain Generation (Even for 8192 Map Sizes)

Seems they are aiming for 9/2016 for the standalone version. I hadn't heard about this app before, and the first version seems to have gotten "mixed" opinions. Still, it looks like they'll be the first GPU accelerated commercial terrain software. Going to wait for the beta/release reception before preordering/buying.

World Creator is formerly known as GeoControl. World Creator 1 actually had a lot of really great tools like springs, rivers, lakes, etc. Things World Machine doesn't yet have very well. But World Creator also has pros and cons. It isn't node-based which is unfortunate... but it is very powerful still. I use the professional version of both, choosing the one that fits the scenario best. The GPU generation will be a game changer for sure.

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »
Can you 'sort of' do node type actions by setting up filters in the right order?

I'd like to be able to create / load some masks, and have errosion, roads, terraces, etc. cut in, and then later go back and change the mask.

I've looked at Geocontrol before

GPU acceleration would be amazing.

== John ==

unity2k

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »
Has anyone in any forum seen a word from Stephen? It appears he fell away from here back in December 2015 and has been unseen since.