Author Topic: Dev Silent in Forum and Blog  (Read 17702 times)

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Silent in Forum and Blog
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
Forward compatibility is a thing for the 3.x versions, but there are some problems with a couple of macros, there are definitely some bugs since it's still a Dev version.

Also you can install both versions by choosing different installation folders

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
Thanks, good to know. So I will install both versions.

Heileif

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Stephen is back! WOHOOOO! :D

Kiwi-Hawk

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
Kia ora

Seems if I upgrade to the new Dev version it does not know the GeoColour node so that become grey and UNKNOWN

I guess that would mean finding a new colour tool for now right

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:34 AM »
I am thrilled that Stephen is wokinging on WM.

But I am still abit worried about the development of WM and the releases,?!
I am having trouble to understand what feature and fixes will be in a future releas and When will they be released? What is the prio? I seem to have diffrent wishes for feature than the developer?!
It need to come down do a priority list imo.

Is River development going before GPU generation?
Is UI developing going to be made this year or in 7 years?

Do I have to wait for every release before I deside to buy a version? It can take years before I buy a new release due to the new feature is not prior to me?

It can not be a simpel task for Stephen to deside what next relese will be prior? He will pick some feature in the blind and hope for the comunity will like his new release. He will then develop for month and when he release the new version not so many needed that feature.
How can the community help Stephen to prior feature for his next release ?

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2017, 05:13:22 AM »

I am having trouble to understand what feature and fixes will be in a future releas and When will they be released? What is the prio? I seem to have diffrent wishes for feature than the developer?!

Do I have to wait for every release before I deside to buy a version? It can take years before I buy a new release due to the new feature is not prior to me?

It can not be a simpel task for Stephen to deside what next relese will be prior? He will pick some feature in the blind and hope for the comunity will like his new release. He will then develop for month and when he release the new version not so many needed that feature.

If you read the last blog post it says there that he spent the whole 2016 on R&D and seeing what new features he'd like to implement, as a result of that you're getting a river device and some other ones. So it's basically "wait and see what will come, buy it if you like it or don't".

As for myself, I'm not sure to be happy at the moment or sad, Stephen.

Personally , I have mixed feelings. I mean, you spent the 2016 on R&D, it was so much work that you didn't have time for a whole year to make a single post on the forums and say "Hey, I'm gonna be away for a year, but I'll be working on it". Even though you saw us all worried and terrified. Nobody was asking for support, for a long time people literally just wanted to know if you're still alive. I refuse to believe you didn't have enough time to make 1 post on your own forum. Other than that, the result of 2016 is not GPU generation or any highly required features, but it's a few devices and in particular only the water device is what the community really needed. Why should QuadSpinner do a far better job at creating devices in far less time than you do? I probably sound too bitter to you at the moment, but that's honestly how I'm feeling about it. I very much like to start feeling better.

Moving forward, since you're pretty close to releasing WM3 and people are going to think twice before they go for it, it's better for both sides if you start now to actually let the community to create a feature list and see what your audience really needs, (GPU generation is still going to be on the top however), and I think it'll be most helpful to your own business if you become more reliable in releasing updates more frequently instead of promising refunds in case you didn't release any.

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2017, 07:04:08 AM »

If you read the last blog post it says there that he spent the whole 2016 on R&D and seeing what new features he'd like to implement, as a result of that you're getting a river device and some other ones. So it's basically "wait and see what will come, buy it if you like it or don't".

As for myself, I'm not sure to be happy at the moment or sad, Stephen.

Personally , I have mixed feelings. I mean, you spent the 2016 on R&D, it was so much work that you didn't have time for a whole year to make a single post on the forums and say "Hey, I'm gonna be away for a year, but I'll be working on it". Even though you saw us all worried and terrified. Nobody was asking for support, for a long time people literally just wanted to know if you're still alive. I refuse to believe you didn't have enough time to make 1 post on your own forum. Other than that, the result of 2016 is not GPU generation or any highly required features, but it's a few devices and in particular only the water device is what the community really needed. Why should QuadSpinner do a far better job at creating devices in far less time than you do? I probably sound too bitter to you at the moment, but that's honestly how I'm feeling about it. I very much like to start feeling better.

Moving forward, since you're pretty close to releasing WM3 and people are going to think twice before they go for it, it's better for both sides if you start now to actually let the community to create a feature list and see what your audience really needs, (GPU generation is still going to be on the top however), and I think it'll be most helpful to your own business if you become more reliable in releasing updates more frequently instead of promising refunds in case you didn't release any.

I agree.

Looking in the feature request section makes me also woundering...
Users are allready starting to use diffrent versions of WM. Soon noone is using same version ... What will then happen?

Maybe the wayforward wouldbe for Stephen to make a list(poll) of feature he wants to start working for the next release . Then users can vote in that list what they prior? and this will make user want the new version?

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
I think what maybe help Stephen up from posting anything on the forums was fear: initially he may just have stopped to post anything for a short while just because he was focusing on something else and because he was overwhelmed of having to deal with all his new customers, but after a few months of silence he was maybe afraid of the feedback he'd get from the community by writing a blog post that he had zero features ready for release.

My theory is that after months of fruitless R&D he decided to change course and develop features that he was sure he could release, so he worked non stop on the features we have now in dev3014, completely neglecting the community. He was planning to release the update just inside the 12 month timespan from the 3011 update, so he could renew the licenses of whoever bought WM in the times of silence by an additional year. He probably didn't manage to get it quite in time, hence we got 3014 in February.

I'm not saying he did the right thing, but I think it's definitely understandable why he stopped communicating with the outside world.

This ties in well with the other discussion about Stephen putting up a feature list of what he is currently working on, or what the community would want to see.
I think particularly after this year of silence he would not be doing the right decision by spoiling us any new major feature he is working on, because if at the end of the day it doesn't work out like he wanted to and he ends up not releasing it, the backlash from the community can be painful, emotionally and financially.
Even with the new erosion system he spoiled in the new blog post http://www.world-machine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/example_newsystem3.jpg , I'd be really sad if he ends up scrapping the project, and it could lead me to not buying any additional updates.

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
I am sitting on an older version that has a bugg in it that kills WM for me when I by misstake trigger it.
Unfortunetly I m not allowed to uppgrade and I do not know if the bugg exist in new version.
How will Stephen handel this type of problem when you only have one years subscript?

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
It may be a good thing, if Stephen simply includes a second person to support the development of WM3 and the future roadmap as well. This will help us to build up trust again into the future of World Machine.

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »
Crowdfounding? I would like to pay for some feature.

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »
Excuse me guys, but the support and positivity around Stephen's "return" is almost of biblical and especially religious proportions.
Please everyone, get your feet on the ground and think critically, like Maximum-Dev.

Every grown up person doesn't buy this. 1 year of complete silence just because of development and with only those results?
Come on, we all know that's a lie and that it's much more likely personal issues.
He doesn't owe us an explanation of his personal situation and anything like "I wasn't able to be active because of personal/private problems" would suffice and be understandable.
But because of development?? Come on, this is insulting to our intelligence!

The "compensation" is also minimalistic and totally not a convincing effort to regain trust and confidence.
Everyone who had a license last year should have it extended, not only the ones who bought one. Get real, Stephen.

Oh...by the way, check Stephen's profile now to see how serious he is about his comeback:
http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2
March 1st now, last visit February the 13th...

Wake up guys!!!

blattacker

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
My dude, have you ever developed a program before? Cause let me tell you something, at my day job, I've been trying to simply automate operating system installs with device specific drivers for a range of computers without needing separate installs for each, and I've been at it for 3 months with very little to show for it. And there's no hard programming involved with that, just some minor XML scripting. It is definitely plausible that he's been stuck in development, and just didn't have very much to show for it. Code doesn't always work the way you expect, things don't always interact with each other nicely, there's a whole mess of things that could have gone wrong.

That being said, sure, people are well within their rights to be wary, but don't come barging in here just to rain on everyone who's just happy to see development still happening's parade. Be mad if you want, but don't get mad at other people for not being mad.

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2017, 12:22:36 AM »
I got mixed feelings about the "return" of Stephen...

Ive read his blog-post but still got a bad feeling about the situation: there is simply no excuse, to not write a one line sentence like "back in a year" or "taking a break", just to
keep customers informed and not leave them in the dark.

I understand the R&D thing, even if it not brings up tons of new features or even any fruits at all.

But then I would get WM 3 (a final release, no "Dev") ready as a free update for all customers, that bought 2.3.7. and upwards!
No need for all new features here, just a stable version with bug fixes and everything in it finalized!

I also would start to collect a most-wanted-feature-list (finally working with the community) and create a roadmap,

The new features from that list (WM 4.x) would be availible as paid updates again, but in a way, that if you buy a full release, every "point-release" of
it should be a free update. And no fancy "free updates for a year" bullcrap. That still feels like a total rip-off, because there were no updates in more than a year!!!

I dont see any of these things happen as of yet, so I will stick to 3rd party solutions or even other tools before spending money on WM, again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:29:57 AM by Onkelpoe »

Mauri

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • eden Screensaver
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2017, 06:26:35 AM »
I tend to agree with Tangled-Universe. Not with his tone, though.

Be mad if you want, but don't get mad at other people for not being mad.
He's nowhere saying that you should be mad, too. We all just should step down a bit with our euphorism - that's all, because you never know what happens tomorrow. Feel free to be happy about Stephen's return, but be also realistic.

Why should QuadSpinner do a far better job at creating devices in far less time than you do?
QuadSpinner is based on two people, according to the website. Two people can probably accomplish more than just a single person.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:31:15 AM by Mauri »

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »
Quadspinner and Stephen should merge their stuff and make Terrain generating great again ^^

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2017, 03:04:29 AM »
Quadspinner and Stephen should merge their stuff and make Terrain generating great again ^^

I absolutely agree!

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
Maybe he's embarrased, but agreed, we need some input - I'd rather KNOW what is going on than to just hear that there's a new version out without something.

My maintenance expired a while ago, so I didn't get the last beta. I was waiting to see if he'd died or been assassinated or something before renewing. I'm still not sure now.

I too, have offered to do contract work for him. If he's too busy, he's got options.

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »
Almost a month since he logged in for the last time. Seems to be gone silent again...

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »
Just wanted to say I agree.

My subscription ran out JUST before the last beta expired, and I can't download the new beta.

The right thing to do would be for Stephen to allow our subscriptions to be renewed until the release comes out. I'll gladly pay for a (stable) release maintenance, but I've been there from practically the start, and don't feel I need to pay for a beta ... especially with what the release schedule has been.

Can you help us out Stephen? If you're still listening?

Thanks,

== John ==