Author Topic: Any methods/ways of making this sort of mountains?  (Read 1153 times)

AZland

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Any methods/ways of making this sort of mountains?
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »
Hey guys, So I've been learning world machine for the past few weeks, getting the hang of it pretty much.

And I want to create some snowy mountains but, I just cannot figure out how and what to use in order to make mountains like these: http://prnt.sc/ek26l0

If anyone knows and can explain on what I can use or do to make the following mountains, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
[/b]

sfriedberg

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Any methods/ways of making this sort of mountains?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Those will be difficult in WM.  In the real world they were shaped primarily by glacial erosion and secondarily by fracture (spalling/exfoliation) of exposed rock surfaces.  WM doesn't have a node to do that.

However, if I were trying this, I would start with an Advanced Perlin Noise node using the Sharp Ridged mode and a substantial Steepness.  I'd start with the default Octaves and then experiment with the Persistence setting.  Once you get something approximately to your liking, there are many, many options for fine tuning in the Advanced Perline Noise node.

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
There are multiple ways I can think of to achieve that look, although it will look artificial or stylized.
Sadly I'm not at home or I would send you a project file.

One way is using a ridged perlin, erode it with the inverse filter to get those glacial lines, then apply some distortion with as a distortion input a much bigger (more up close) advanced perlin, that will give the swirling round shape you see in the original picture.

To make it look more rugged try some heavy thermal erosion at the beginning and some terracing too.

It's not easy to try and explain how to proceed so if you are willing to wait 5 days i will make a project for you.

AZland

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
There are multiple ways I can think of to achieve that look, although it will look artificial or stylized.
Sadly I'm not at home or I would send you a project file.

One way is using a ridged perlin, erode it with the inverse filter to get those glacial lines, then apply some distortion with as a distortion input a much bigger (more up close) advanced perlin, that will give the swirling round shape you see in the original picture.

To make it look more rugged try some heavy thermal erosion at the beginning and some terracing too.

It's not easy to try and explain how to proceed so if you are willing to wait 5 days i will make a project for you.

Hey, I do apologize for a late response but, Thanks for providing some suggestions and I'd really appreciate it if you get the time to create a project, it should help me understand it more.

AZland

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:05 AM »
Those will be difficult in WM.  In the real world they were shaped primarily by glacial erosion and secondarily by fracture (spalling/exfoliation) of exposed rock surfaces.  WM doesn't have a node to do that.

However, if I were trying this, I would start with an Advanced Perlin Noise node using the Sharp Ridged mode and a substantial Steepness.  I'd start with the default Octaves and then experiment with the Persistence setting.  Once you get something approximately to your liking, there are many, many options for fine tuning in the Advanced Perline Noise node.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into that. =)

soulburn

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 03:46:22 AM »
I have had some success plumbing a gradient at 2km into the the modulation slot of a terrace node. This can provide a decent
layer 'folding' effect. The width and direction of the gradient are important, play around!

AZland

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
I have had some success plumbing a gradient at 2km into the the modulation slot of a terrace node. This can provide a decent
layer 'folding' effect. The width and direction of the gradient are important, play around!

Yes, that seems to work pretty well.

Here is a quick example I did with this method. http://prntscr.com/ewufbs
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:08:25 AM by AZland »

soulburn

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 04:30:42 AM »

Yes, that seems to work pretty well.

Here is a quick example I did with this method. http://prntscr.com/ewufbs

That looks quite nice and fairly close to what you are seeking it appears. I was thinking of trying a clamp scheme to
contain the effect to a specific area or a particular peak. Your snow looks great too.

AZland

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »

[/quote]

That looks quite nice and fairly close to what you are seeking it appears. I was thinking of trying a clamp scheme to
contain the effect to a specific area or a particular peak. Your snow looks great too.
[/quote]

Yea, I'm getting there, just have to take the time to play around with the settings. Clamp also helps a bit as well but, I may use layout generator to mask specific areas.

And thanks, I appreciate the help. =)