Author Topic: Island with SRTM data  (Read 475 times)

Jakerod

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Island with SRTM data
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
I grabbed some SRTM data of an island that I'm trying to make. The SRTM data has the ocean flat at 0m. I've been trying to figure out how to make a new ocean floor that ramps down from the island but haven't managed to do it. I feel like I have tried every filter about six times in various combinations of selections with no luck. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm trying to keep the shape of the island mostly intact. Small deviations are okay though if they are necessary.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

smb3d

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: Island with SRTM data
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
Use a  height selection to select just the flat floor. You could draw a mask in the layout generator that matches the shape of your island roughly and set the parameters so that it is higher in the island part and lower where the ocean is. Now use a combiner node to combine the two together using your height selector as a mask. You could subtract the layout generator from your original terrain. It will take some fiddling, but should be workable.

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Island with SRTM data
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:38:43 AM »
Use a height selector to select only the ocean, then use a blur on the selector to make it fall off gradually and subtract the output from the original terrain, which you need to combine on "add" to a constant generator, so that when you subtract the ocean you don't go under the lowest value and end up with a flat ocean floor again