Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Development News / Re: Dev Silent in Forum and Blog
« Last post by Hotshot on Today at 11:10:51 AM »
Crowdfounding? I would like to pay for some feature.
« Last post by Vision4Next on Today at 10:19:40 AM »
It may be a good thing, if Stephen simply includes a second person to support the development of WM3 and the future roadmap as well. This will help us to build up trust again into the future of World Machine.
« Last post by Hotshot on Today at 08:11:12 AM »
I am sitting on an older version that has a bugg in it that kills WM for me when I by misstake trigger it.
Unfortunetly I äm not allowed to uppgrade and I do not know if the bugg exist in new version.
How will Stephen handel this type of problem when you only have one years subscript?
« Last post by JakBB on Today at 07:47:27 AM »
I think what maybe help Stephen up from posting anything on the forums was fear: initially he may just have stopped to post anything for a short while just because he was focusing on something else and because he was overwhelmed of having to deal with all his new customers, but after a few months of silence he was maybe afraid of the feedback he'd get from the community by writing a blog post that he had zero features ready for release.

My theory is that after months of fruitless R&D he decided to change course and develop features that he was sure he could release, so he worked non stop on the features we have now in dev3014, completely neglecting the community. He was planning to release the update just inside the 12 month timespan from the 3011 update, so he could renew the licenses of whoever bought WM in the times of silence by an additional year. He probably didn't manage to get it quite in time, hence we got 3014 in February.

I'm not saying he did the right thing, but I think it's definitely understandable why he stopped communicating with the outside world.

This ties in well with the other discussion about Stephen putting up a feature list of what he is currently working on, or what the community would want to see.
I think particularly after this year of silence he would not be doing the right decision by spoiling us any new major feature he is working on, because if at the end of the day it doesn't work out like he wanted to and he ends up not releasing it, the backlash from the community can be painful, emotionally and financially.
Even with the new erosion system he spoiled in the new blog post http://www.world-machine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/example_newsystem3.jpg , I'd be really sad if he ends up scrapping the project, and it could lead me to not buying any additional updates.
« Last post by Hotshot on Today at 07:04:08 AM »
I am thrilled that Stephen is wokinging on WM.

But I am still abit worried about the development of WM and the releases,?!
I am having trouble to understand what feature and fixes will be in a future releas and When will they be released? What is the prio? I seem to have diffrent wishes for feature than the developer?!
It need to come down do a priority list imo.

Is River development going before GPU generation?
Is UI developing going to be made this year or in 7 years?

Do I have to wait for every release before I deside to buy a version? It can take years before I buy a new release due to the new feature is not prior to me?

It can not be a simpel task for Stephen to deside what next relese will be prior? He will pick some feature in the blind and hope for the comunity will like his new release. He will then develop for month and when he release the new version not so many needed that feature.
How can the community help Stephen to prior feature for his next release ?

If you read the last blog post it says there that he spent the whole 2016 on R&D and seeing what new features he'd like to implement, as a result of that you're getting a river device and some other ones. So it's basically "wait and see what will come, buy it if you like it or don't".

As for myself, I'm not sure to be happy at the moment or sad, Stephen.

Personally , I have mixed feelings. I mean, you spent the 2016 on R&D, it was so much work that you didn't have time for a whole year to make a single post on the forums and say "Hey, I'm gonna be away for a year, but I'll be working on it". Even though you saw us all worried and terrified. Nobody was asking for support, for a long time people literally just wanted to know if you're still alive. I refuse to believe you didn't have enough time to make 1 post on your own forum. Other than that, the result of 2016 is not GPU generation or any highly required features, but it's a few devices and in particular only the water device is what the community really needed. Why should QuadSpinner do a far better job at creating devices in far less time than you do? I probably sound too bitter to you at the moment, but that's honestly how I'm feeling about it. I very much like to start feeling better.

Moving forward, since you're pretty close to releasing WM3 and people are going to think twice before they go for it, it's better for both sides if you start now to actually let the community to create a feature list and see what your audience really needs, (GPU generation is still going to be on the top however), and I think it'll be most helpful to your own business if you become more reliable in releasing updates more frequently instead of promising refunds in case you didn't release any.

I agree.

Looking in the feature request section makes me also woundering...
Users are allready starting to use diffrent versions of WM. Soon noone is using same version ... What will then happen?

Maybe the wayforward wouldbe for Stephen to make a list(poll) of feature he wants to start working for the next release . Then users can vote in that list what they prior? and this will make user want the new version?
« Last post by Maximum-Dev on Today at 05:13:22 AM »

I am having trouble to understand what feature and fixes will be in a future releas and When will they be released? What is the prio? I seem to have diffrent wishes for feature than the developer?!

Do I have to wait for every release before I deside to buy a version? It can take years before I buy a new release due to the new feature is not prior to me?

It can not be a simpel task for Stephen to deside what next relese will be prior? He will pick some feature in the blind and hope for the comunity will like his new release. He will then develop for month and when he release the new version not so many needed that feature.

If you read the last blog post it says there that he spent the whole 2016 on R&D and seeing what new features he'd like to implement, as a result of that you're getting a river device and some other ones. So it's basically "wait and see what will come, buy it if you like it or don't".

As for myself, I'm not sure to be happy at the moment or sad, Stephen.

Personally , I have mixed feelings. I mean, you spent the 2016 on R&D, it was so much work that you didn't have time for a whole year to make a single post on the forums and say "Hey, I'm gonna be away for a year, but I'll be working on it". Even though you saw us all worried and terrified. Nobody was asking for support, for a long time people literally just wanted to know if you're still alive. I refuse to believe you didn't have enough time to make 1 post on your own forum. Other than that, the result of 2016 is not GPU generation or any highly required features, but it's a few devices and in particular only the water device is what the community really needed. Why should QuadSpinner do a far better job at creating devices in far less time than you do? I probably sound too bitter to you at the moment, but that's honestly how I'm feeling about it. I very much like to start feeling better.

Moving forward, since you're pretty close to releasing WM3 and people are going to think twice before they go for it, it's better for both sides if you start now to actually let the community to create a feature list and see what your audience really needs, (GPU generation is still going to be on the top however), and I think it'll be most helpful to your own business if you become more reliable in releasing updates more frequently instead of promising refunds in case you didn't release any.
« Last post by Hotshot on Today at 02:50:34 AM »

That sounds insane! What resolution did you set the first blur?

I think there is so much potential with the single device resolution settings and barely anyone uses it.
Especially with blurs, expanders and layout generators, in almost every case of using those devices you don't actually need a 1 to 1 resolution for those devices, I highly recommend everyone to try and mess around with that setting.
While we are at it, it would be amazing if you could change resolution of devices based on the group they are in, that could speed things up by quite a bit for large projects

Feature Requests / Optimized version of Blur (my example is 30x the speed)
« Last post by Ben on February 25, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »
Welcome back Stephen! One trick I use to optimize my large scale blur's is to use 2 Blur's. First blur is 1/4 resolution followed by a second, full resolution blur (in pixel space rather than world) with a distance of 4 to match the 1/4 scale difference of the previous blur. This usually gives me indistinguishable results but is incredibly fast. For example, I'm currently replacing a blur which takes 4:47 to render at full resolution (8192) on 40 cores and 210 GB of memory. The optimized version takes 9 seconds.
I have a very simple but potentially very useful suggestion:
Add a low-res preview of the terrain to the Zoomed Tile Picker that is accessed on the Tiled Build Option
This is what it looks like currently
Here is a quick mockup on how it would look:

This would help a lot and would be a godsend for people doing lots of tiled builds
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10