Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Bug Reports and Help / Re: A little help would be great :) Main extent Close Up
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
More easily, maintaining the same pixel/meter resolution when you reduce your extent's size should fix it. Mostly.

You should be aware that the erosion node is partly driven by the extent's boundaries, which might change the way this node behaves. Althought your terrain doesnt look like it might suffer from this.

An idea could be rendering the whole extent at the same resolution you want for the close up scene, reduce the obj polycount (if needed) in Maya or in ZBrush (ZBrush has awesome tools for decimation) and then capture its normals.

At this point you have two 3D models, one very high poly and one low poly with detailed normal maps, both with corresponding volumes (mostly, depending on the decimation level) and showing the same amount of details.

If they dont need a fly-over take of the scene, cutting and pasting together the close and distant areas should be an easy operation.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: "Blocks" forming within layout generator
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 08:15:23 AM »
I stumbled on this visual glitch myself, usually re-rendering the terrain helps, or even just zooming in and out or changing to the 3D view and back....it should be temporary.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Layout generator, lines between shapes
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
No, he means you should use a "combiner" device and set it to "Average" mode (which should be the default anyway).

You're right those lines are not something you can prevent, since you're basically mixing two hemispherical shapes.
What you could do is making them as a one single shape.

Usually, when I want to make a chain of hills or mountains, I use simple lines and I give vertices different heights (right click on a vertex and select "Enter precise value...").
This way I can manually set the altitude of the area where the falloff of two peaks encounter, leaving no "wrinkles".

I see how using circles makes all the sense in the world, but I find it to be a very stiff way to create elelvations.
Anyway, passing the whole bunch of elevations into one single erosion node could elegantly blend them together even as separate shapes.
Heightmaps basically are grids of numbers expressing altitudes.
At your present resolution, every pixel defines the altitude of a 1.5 squared meters area. Have you tried raising the resolution of your heightmap to something like 1px = 1sqm (or even higher)?

Also, at 16bits you have a range of 65535 levels of grey to express altituteds. If you set your world to have a maximum height of 65535 meters, this means every tone of grey will be equal to 1 meter.
With a 12x12Km extent, I doubt your mountains will be anything wider than 4x4km each at most, which means the maximum altitude will probably be no more than 3000 meters.
If you set your world's maximum height at around 3000 meters, your resolution in terms of grey tones would be 20 tones per meter, 5 centimeters per grey tone. Plenty of resolution, I'd say.

Anyway, a visual hint of your problem would help define a proper solution much faster, mind sharing a screenshot of how things "go south" when you scale things down?
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Can't Import Terrain To UE4
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
First it would help a lot if you could tell us more precisely where you get stuck, what kind of error you are notified with, how UE4 behaves when you try to import your heightmap.

I'm currently working with UE4 too, importing heightmaps just from WM. It's an all new thing, for me, but I'm encountering absolutely no issues.
Hi everybody, been years since my last visit....and the last time I found myself using WM. ^^'

Straight to the problem: I have a 500x500 meters extent; in this extent is an island that takes most of the space; over this island I'm placing some hills of the smooth kind.
Although of the smooth kind, I'd like these hills to have some variance in their base shape (not just roundish like a pregnant lady's belly).
To make the hills I used layout lines with specific altitudes for each vertex. To achieve a more interesting look I wanted to exploit the shape breakup feature.

Alas, the shape breakup scale value can't go anywhere below 333m in size, which means every feature would be roughly 4-6 times the size of the hill itself.
I see no input hook named after this parameter, on top of the device, thus I guess using a scalar input is not an option.

I want orizontal distortion, not vertical bumps, thus multiplying it by a perlin noise wouldn't give me the right result.

Question: is there a workaround for this? Or maybe an alternative?

Thank you. ^^
Bug Reports and Help / "Blocks" forming within layout generator
« Last post by Rmussell on August 10, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
When using a chooser in my current scenario, I find that the view inside the layout generator gets very "blocky" and does not show me what is actually present within the world, any tips on how to fix this? Thanks
There are already World generating tools with GPU support

Which ones?

World-creator (former GEO control). Almost everything is realtime.
General Discussion / Make Edges match each other? Seamless terrain
« Last post by trgames on August 06, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
Is there a way to make all the edges match each other so it can be wrapped on a sphere? 205x100km with no tiling. I have the professional edition.
Bug Reports and Help / How to combine these two terrains?
« Last post by CEDERROTH on July 22, 2018, 05:24:30 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/9eAph5K
Hey guys, this is what I have on my project. It's a grassy mountain terrain which needs a small snowy section.
I created the snowy section separately, hoping to combine it to the grassy terrain later on.

So basically what I need to do is mask out the rest of the snowy terrain and only leave the mountain part to be integrated in to the grassy terrain, while keeping the color textures as they are and the heightmap filters,  erosion etc. to not affect each terrain section.
Just sort of blending the snow in to the grass.

Is this even possible this way?

EDIT: SOLVED (kind of)

http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=2774.0
I found this thread with user Remnant gave advice and followed that one.

https://imgur.com/a/7YB0zKp
So basically
1) I created two Choosers, one for the heightmaps and one for the bitmaps (snow and grass).
2) Dragged heightmap output from the snowy part (from Erosion) to the first Chooser's Input A and the heightmap output from the grassy part to the same Chooser's Input B.
3) Masked out the first Chooser: Copied and pasted the Layout Generator that I used to create the snowy part. Dragged the output from that Layout Generator to first Chooser's Control C.

4) Dragged the bitmap output for the snowy part in to the second Chooser's Input A and dragged the bitmap output from grassy part in to Input B.
5) Masked out the second Chooser with the same Layout Generator as in part 3.
6) Matched each terrain's height because I needed to raise the snowy part a bit with Clamp by dragging it between the heightmap output and the first Chooser. Used the setting "Clamp" to alter the height.

I think there would be a better way to do this and if you come up with one, please do share. As you can see, the transition between the grass and the snow isn't the best so I could use some advice on that one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10