Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
While that's cool and practical, the quality can't compare to what WM can produce. :) The workflow is also very different from WM.
I personally have a hard time using it for more than getting started on a shape, and always bring the produced shape into WM to refine and make the final product.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Layout generator, lines between shapes
« Last post by Smithson on August 15, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
means you should use a "combiner" device and set it to
General Discussion / Re: Education assistance?
« Last post by dantheman9810 on August 15, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Thanks that does help quite a bit. I will probably just go ahead and try to get it. I would just be REALLY nice to have a bit of a cushion to the $200 cost of simply upgrading to the lowest professional level of the software that I can actually use.

I am glad that once I buy it, I essentially get the version that was out once I buy it, and any updates for a year. So that is a huge plus!
« Last post by OlaHaldor on August 15, 2018, 01:28:00 AM »
I feel your pain about student budget and pro level software.
I'm not sure whether WM does discounts for students. If it's not, I'd say: save up. Or get a Mastercard or ask someone for a loan. I know it's not the answer you want, but if it's the only way, what can you do?

The year long license is perpetual - it never ends - and is considered as maintenance. It's a common term in the world of professional software, and basically means
- The software does not stop functioning, but
- after 12 months you will no longer get software updates.
- You can extend the maintenance on your license by 12 months at a time for a relatively low cost

This is different to subscription, such as Substance Painter etc. where you pay either monthly or annually. But the moment your license ends, you can no longer use the software or open your files or anything. Until you pay again.

I hope that answered your question.
Feature Requests / Multi-thread tile build blending
« Last post by destef on August 13, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
Apologies if this has already been requested or if I'm doing something wrong.

When I do a tiled build of many tiles (eg. 16x16 tiles) each tile is rendered using all the threads available and in parallel. Only once all the tiles are done a single thread does the job of blending and this can make the overall time to create a set of tiles very long, especially when I do relatively simple renders but across a lot of tiles.

In my example, 256 tiles of 512x512 each can be generated in ~30 seconds, but then takes almost 10 minutes to blend the tiles one by one.

Thanks!

« Last post by dantheman9810 on August 13, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »
Also, is the license only valid for a year, and then you are booted back down to the free version until you renew the license? I would be happy to stop receiving updates if I can keep the "Professional" features and the money will be more worth it to me, even if I receive no assistance.
General Discussion / Education assistance?
« Last post by dantheman9810 on August 13, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »
Hello all:

I am currently a student at a local college and my aim is to go into game development. I am currently receiving training on many different game engines and software to help me do what I need to do to create and maintain games. World Machine is one of the softwares that have come up, and I am looking into getting one of the premium versions. However, I see that they are quite expensive and I just do not have the means to purchase a license straight out. The free version is nice, don't get me wrong, but I am limited both in size and quality. Nothing that I have created with the free version has been up to spec to go into my portfolio, so I am looking for something I can regularly use to create things of that level.

I have started two support tickets on the site, the latest one only a few moments ago from the time of this post. The other has been over a week or a week and a half without any sign of me ever receiving a response.

Is there a program out there that will offer any help with this?
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Large tiled UE4 Import bad
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
UE4 is a bit of an oddball, in terms of importing scales.
512 is the height reference, if your world machine extent has a maximum height of 2048 (always pick multiples of 512!!), then your Z scale should be 400.
For orizontal scales it's the opposite: 512 (or 505?) as the reference, if you import a 2048x2048px heightmap, your X/Y scale should be 25.

And that's it, it more or less works in multiples of 512. It works like a charm.

I dont know anything about World Composition, but I assume previous answers are correct.

Also, remember that UE4 calculates the zero height halfway throught the range, as it goes from 512 to -512.
Assuming your maximum (possible) height in WM is 2048 meters, if you want your terrain to be automatically imported at UE's zero, you should set your terrain zero at 1024 meters in WM (bring your water level at 1024 meters by adding a constant generator to the whole terrain so that they add up to 1024).
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Can't type in clamp value.
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Did you try by specifying the measure unit? Like typing in "1000 m"?

More often than not (at least in older versions), WM would assume you mean kilometers, when no unit was explicitly expressed. No idea how it works now in version 3, but worth a try.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: A little help would be great :) Main extent Close Up
« Last post by Zehryo on August 11, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
More easily, maintaining the same pixel/meter resolution when you reduce your extent's size should fix it. Mostly.

You should be aware that the erosion node is partly driven by the extent's boundaries, which might change the way this node behaves. Althought your terrain doesnt look like it might suffer from this.

An idea could be rendering the whole extent at the same resolution you want for the close up scene, reduce the obj polycount (if needed) in Maya or in ZBrush (ZBrush has awesome tools for decimation) and then capture its normals.

At this point you have two 3D models, one very high poly and one low poly with detailed normal maps, both with corresponding volumes (mostly, depending on the decimation level) and showing the same amount of details.

If they dont need a fly-over take of the scene, cutting and pasting together the close and distant areas should be an easy operation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10