• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2019, 02:22:29 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

World Machine to Unity issue with slope having jagged stair-steps

Started by mostlyhuman, December 02, 2017, 07:58:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mostlyhuman

I created some simple shapes in World Machine to represent a beach descending down into a body of water and the slope down towards the water isnt smooth its jagged and stair-step-like.  I even tried blurring the image in photoshop and the issue still persists. I dont understand what is causing the issue.  The raw file is 4096x4096 and my height map resolution is set at 4097.  I have attached an image to show the issue when zoomed in close.

ibyte

Just curious - your file output from world machine is using raw r16 file?

mostlyhuman

It definitely is 16bit, that was the first thing I checked since it seems to be a resolution issue. Its exporting as Raw16

ibyte

The reason I asked is I tried to use a 16 bit tif file with MapMagic in Unity  using the texture input node and I got that same stepped effect.

ibyte

When i used a r16 file I didn't have that problem. I was told if you try to use tif it will convert it to 8 bit internally and only true raw input files work @ 16 bit. So I expect my issue was not your issue.

ibyte

mostlyhuman

ibyte

ibyte

Oh I meant in (kilo)meters vs resolution - your import in Unity showed 75 x 75 meters with a height of 1000 meters?
I think it might be 3Km?

mostlyhuman

the game world is 3km x 3km and tiled into 75m x 75m tiles that each have a 4k reaolution heightmap

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview