Author Topic: Simplex noise and custom nodes  (Read 154 times)

Ash

Simplex noise and custom nodes
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:25:38 AM »
I'm just evaluating World Machine free and am impressed with the results possible with even simple node layouts.

1.  Can World Machine generate 2D Simplex noise?  I find the the grid artifacts of the built in Advanced Noise generator (perlin noise?) a bit too visible for my needs.  Simplex is great for reducing this in my experience. 
2.  Many of the numeric text boxes in the Advanced Perlin noise or Erosion nodes seem to be read-only and can only be changed by dragging a slider.  How to I enter specific values into these boxes?  I would like more control over these.
3.  Is there a node API allowing development of custom nodes? I'm a dev. myself, I'd be able to create a custom Simplex noise node if there isn't one built in.  I think Macros are a higher level concept that can only aggregate existing built in nodes?

Thanks,

Ash

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Simplex noise and custom nodes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:34:08 AM »
1. No simplex noise. But you can use displacement node to introduce some distortion. You can also input custom noise into the displacement node.
2. Don't know.
3. Yes, there's a plugin development kit. It's a bit dated, and developed as kind of a "side note". But quiet functional. It's updated with most wm versions. Check out the "plugin development" forum on the main page.

Side note, a lot of things that seem like artifacts in the free version, are gone when built at higher resolutions in the pro version. You can request a limited trial version of the pro before buying. Try that one first.

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Simplex noise and custom nodes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:35:36 AM »
Also, do check out the development blog for latest updates. http://www.world-machine.com/blog/