Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Import into UE4 / unreal using world composition
« Last post by catdsnny on September 23, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
All exported tiled terrains import with large negative Z values.  Tried setting the base height and maximum height to many different values  (0/512, -512/512, 0/2048, etc).  All tiled exports to R16 result in the base terrain around -26000 Z.

What's worse UE4 does not allow for height adjustment in world composition.

Exporting to a single landscape and then adjusting the height works fine.  However I am working on a large tiled landscape so that is not an option.

Anyone have hints for settings to use to get the world to appear at Z 0?  Procedural landscape stuff doesnt work with large negative Z, for example, and lighting is screwed.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: SRTM Seafloor
« Last post by WFab on September 16, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks, that raises the flat seafloor to the level of the coast unless I'm missing something.

What I'm trying to do is a apply a gradient/slope from the coast level (140m) down to the current seafloor (0m) at a distance from the coast (500m?

Perhaps there is something I could do with blur and a mask.

You are indeed missing the next step. What I did here is to raise the floor to a natural level, so the transition is smooth, and then subtract an inverted seafloor terrain from that flat plane, which will scoop out the excess mass from the flat box, making it look realistically dipping. Then you can tweak that inverted seafloor terrain to your heart's content non-destructively.
« Last post by kris392001 on September 15, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »
Thanks, that raises the flat seafloor to the level of the coast unless I'm missing something.

What I'm trying to do is a apply a gradient/slope from the coast level (140m) down to the current seafloor (0m) at a distance from the coast (500m?

Perhaps there is something I could do with blur and a mask.
« Last post by WFab on September 15, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
Combine a "constant" with the terrain, set combiner to "max" mode. Then set preview to the combiner, and then raise the constant height until the land is level at the beach. Next you can select this area using a "Height selector" on the original unmodified terrain (use height=0), and the use it as a mask when you combine the previous terrain with your "seafloor" terrain "inverted", use the "subtract" mode in this combiner.
Bug Reports and Help / SRTM Seafloor
« Last post by kris392001 on September 15, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Hi All,

I'm starting to clean up some SRTM data and wondered if anyone had a method or macro for applying a gradient from 0 to the coast (which I managed to raise to 140m in Photoshop - see image). I tried putting a gradient mask around in Photoshop but the results weren't very satisfactory. I'd like to try and get a reasonably realistic seafloor.

Edit: I realise I could erode but I don't want to change the existing land form.

Cheers

Chris
Feature Requests / Disable splash screen when running from script.
« Last post by jshort on September 13, 2018, 07:47:45 AM »
Would it be possible to disable (with a command line flag if not by default perhaps?) the World Machine splash screen when running it from a script? It steals focus, making it hard for me to work on other things whilst exporting from multiple scripts sequentially.
Feature Requests / Vastly speed up interactive preview
« Last post by Foxer on September 11, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Man this thing is making some fantastic moves in the last year! Improvements in the UI and pretty much everything....but

The preview is slow while making adjustments. With complex networks you will find that you are making adjustment and wait wait wait for it to flow through the graph and update (although it IS much faster than it used to be).

When adjusting the sliders you are not getting to use all the cores like you do when you are "building" (and I do get why...multi-threading real-time interactions isn't simple). 

This puts you in a situation where you have to constantly build build build to see the output at reasonable resolutions. I wonder if there is a way to speed this up?
Geology and Terrain / Re: What are my output mask options please ?
« Last post by WFab on September 10, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »
All erosion types (natural filters), output some sort of helper mask, besides the processed heightmap. For example, "Erosion" device outputs "flow, wear, and deposition" masks. You can output these using "height output" node. Also, you can use "bias/gain" filter on them to bring out some contrast and brightness, if you desire so.

About the provided example "snow", the snow device outputs a helper mask known as "snow depth mask". You can save that using a "height" output node as well. In your "examples" folder, look for "RGB Examples>(RGB) Snow Device Example".
Geology and Terrain / What are my output mask options please ?
« Last post by MarkII on September 10, 2018, 04:04:52 AM »
Hey all,

Having lurked around the forums long enough, I've taken the plunge to register as i need some help please.

I'm trying to make a terrain for use in UE4, I'm only learning so no project in mind, what I can't figure out is how to output good quality masks for my surface materials, all I can manage is to mask by slope or height, what other options are there and how do i use them ?
For example how would i get a mask for this snow ? https://www.world-machine.com//gallery/index.php?entry=129

I'm ok with using WM2, I can get the results I want, I just can't get my surfaces to output, things like cliffs, snow, grass, cliffs and beaches etc
I'm not looking for a splt map, I was looking to export each mask as a black/white image, so i can assign each surface to an image.

I also suck at image software, even M$ Paint get's the better of me, so no PS here  :?

Many thanks in advance,
Mark
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Trouble With PNG Masks
« Last post by WFab on September 09, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
Alright then! Have fun with your world, and do share a screen or two when it's done!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10