Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Works in Progress / Re: Speed Build Practice
« Last post by WFab on August 23, 2018, 04:06:44 AM »
Very nice, especially for a quick whip! Following the thread.
Works in Progress / Re: Speed Build Practice
« Last post by blattacker on August 22, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »
And my two hours in Terragen are up, which is okay with me, because after working on this for that small amount of time, I really want to make a Scandinavian inspired project for my next long term one, and I kinda wanna start right now!
Works in Progress / Speed Build Practice
« Last post by blattacker on August 22, 2018, 12:27:48 AM »
Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I came around these parts. Been awhile since I did anything with World-Machine as well, work started getting in the way. I thought that I'd try doing a couple speed builds just to get back in practice. I'll probably do a few of these, and post them all, but I'm limiting myself to 45 minutes (not including actual build time) working on the terrain, and then bringing it into Terragen and spending a maximum of 2 hours working on shading and other extra details. Without further ado, here's the World-Machine view of my first one, let me know what you think and stay tuned for updates!
Experimenting with rocky mountains
I'll try to be clear on what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm new to WM and I've tried to research independently and searched to the best of my ability, coming up with nothing. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong terms or thinking about this the wrong way.. I'm exhausted at this point and just want a straight answer.

I'm using the professional edition, not sure if that matters.

My WM so far contains a File Input (containing the Height map) and it is connected to the Output Node. I'm happy with the physical results of the terrain right out of the box. It works really well for what I'm trying to accomplish.

The height map is built from a 2D map I built for a project I'm working on. I also colored this map to reflect the worlds deserts, tundras, grasslands, jungles, and etc.

Complete accuracy between the 3D version and the 2D map is a must.

The only difference between these two files is one is gray for the map data, and the other has been colorized.

What I need to do is lay the colored version of this map over top of my terrain so that it reflects my biomes, rather than the standard grassy to mountain look being applied to the whole terrain.

I'm hoping I can do this in WM itself because it would provide me with a bit more flexibility for later.

The only thing I can think is maybe I can't do it in WM and I can overlay the colored version on top of the terrain in another program (I'm using Unreal)
While that's cool and practical, the quality can't compare to what WM can produce. :) The workflow is also very different from WM.
I personally have a hard time using it for more than getting started on a shape, and always bring the produced shape into WM to refine and make the final product.
Bug Reports and Help / Re: Layout generator, lines between shapes
« Last post by Smithson on August 15, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
means you should use a "combiner" device and set it to
General Discussion / Re: Education assistance?
« Last post by dantheman9810 on August 15, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Thanks that does help quite a bit. I will probably just go ahead and try to get it. I would just be REALLY nice to have a bit of a cushion to the $200 cost of simply upgrading to the lowest professional level of the software that I can actually use.

I am glad that once I buy it, I essentially get the version that was out once I buy it, and any updates for a year. So that is a huge plus!
General Discussion / Re: Education assistance?
« Last post by OlaHaldor on August 15, 2018, 01:28:00 AM »
I feel your pain about student budget and pro level software.
I'm not sure whether WM does discounts for students. If it's not, I'd say: save up. Or get a Mastercard or ask someone for a loan. I know it's not the answer you want, but if it's the only way, what can you do?

The year long license is perpetual - it never ends - and is considered as maintenance. It's a common term in the world of professional software, and basically means
- The software does not stop functioning, but
- after 12 months you will no longer get software updates.
- You can extend the maintenance on your license by 12 months at a time for a relatively low cost

This is different to subscription, such as Substance Painter etc. where you pay either monthly or annually. But the moment your license ends, you can no longer use the software or open your files or anything. Until you pay again.

I hope that answered your question.
Feature Requests / Multi-thread tile build blending
« Last post by destef on August 13, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
Apologies if this has already been requested or if I'm doing something wrong.

When I do a tiled build of many tiles (eg. 16x16 tiles) each tile is rendered using all the threads available and in parallel. Only once all the tiles are done a single thread does the job of blending and this can make the overall time to create a set of tiles very long, especially when I do relatively simple renders but across a lot of tiles.

In my example, 256 tiles of 512x512 each can be generated in ~30 seconds, but then takes almost 10 minutes to blend the tiles one by one.

Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]