Author Topic: [Beta Release] Python multiple .obj importer for Maya (v0.5)  (Read 1658 times)

• Community Member
    • View Profile
I wanted to share a script that I've been working on for a little while to help make the importing of mulitple .obj files into Maya easier. It started as a script to automate the importing and rotation of several hundred tiled .objs, but grew into something with a bit more utility, so I thought I would add a few more options and share.

So here's what it'll do:

Import .objs from a folder (currently the only way it operates, I'm going to add to this soon)

Rotate, Translate and Scale the geometry (good for correcting world machines Z-up)

Soften the normals

Normalize multi-tiled UVs and optionally put that in a new UV set ( useful for using multi-tile images for masks etc. but a single high res image for color such as a satelitte image)

If you want to use the normalize UVs option, then you need to tell it the number of x and y tiles you output from world machine.
Currently using the secondary UV set needs to be manually setup in maya, but I'm going to add this to the script soon too.

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: [Beta Release] Python multiple .obj importer for Maya (v0.5)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
Although I no longer use maya, this would be immensely useful. Keep us updated @smb3d!

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta Release] Python multiple .obj importer for Maya (v0.5)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
Hi, thank you for sharing this great script! very helpful!
It adds a suffix"_Obj" to all imported objects! it is not that always wanted. Please add a suffix on/off check box :)