Author Topic: Development status and licensing questions  (Read 2163 times)

hhildebr

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Development status and licensing questions
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:44 AM »
Hi,

been using my trusty old 2.x version for some time now, but there are some features in the development that really interest me (especially the rivers). So I was considering to upgrade to the new 3.x licensing model. As I understand it, the original idea of the new licensing terms was to have a shorter release cycle, so people would (kind of) subscribe for a year and get several updates during that time. However, it seems to me that current development isn't following along, with the 3.x being in development for quite some time now. So I'm a little worried that I get a one-year maintenance license and never see an update during that year. Or would I be entitled to an official 3.0 release if I subscribe now, even if the release is coming after one year?

Oh, and any news when the rivers will make it into the dev branch? The latest posts about that were May-ish, is this coming soon?

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Development status and licensing questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Hi there,

Yep, the frequent updates went a bit off the rails due to the river model work -- there were some lengthy R&D issues that really threw the schedule off track.

The two things I can say are:

1) I highly recommend (and will probably try to make sure all of the website language reflects) viewing the maintenance license as "upgrade to a new version that has things that I really want, AND get a year of updates after that for free", instead of "buy a maintenance license and hope that enough releases come out to make it worth my while". The first scneario is just plain better for everyone! I certainly don't want anyone to feel they're not getting their money's worth from their maintenance update.

2) Today. :)

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

olento

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: Development status and licensing questions
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Yeh, I'm bit sad that my 1 year license just run out before the rivers came out (22nd June). There wasn't a single update on dev channel since last october which kinda makes me wonder about the value of 1 year free upgrades overall.

I bought WM2 last summer, so I definitely got value for it (as I got the base product), but if I had paid for the update/upgrades and the maintenance price for it, I'd have been really disappointed. After all, maintenance for the standard edition is 40% of the full price which is bit steep for just few updates right after the purchase in my opinion.

And I agree on point 1, as it is now, it's more like paying for what the software is now and not about the maintenance as we can't tell if there will be enough value in the forthcoming updates. That being said and what learned from this, I'm going to wait as the river tool matures more and only pay for the upgrade when I can be sure I'll get fully functional tool with it.

I wish the updates kept just rolling (at least one update in a quarter year and new features flagged as "experimental" etc) as then I'd jump into buying the maintenance license right away. I mean, it's a dev release so it's not even meant to be fully polished, right?