Author Topic: Anyone interested in a tool like this ?  (Read 9331 times)

Vision4Next

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in a tool like this ?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
I own GeoControl for a long time and I had a look at World Creator when they reopened. I thought that World Creator was almost dead and switched to World Machine a year ago. Now this is also failing it seems. It's just a mess WM is a great program, but it definitely needs some further development.

I'd love to find a good alternative, but I've seen none so far. I don't use it in game engines, but in CG like Cinema 4D and Blender. Seems I have to wait and live with workarounds so far...

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »
...at least, the forums are still up ;)

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »
You're sidestepping my point.
I said it's not a big deal and just a remark.
Nobody said you should leave or whatsoever.

It's obvious people are interested.
Everywhere you post about your project people respond positive to the idea.

Instead of focusing on the questions asked about your project you choose to focus on something else, how's that constructive?
You're confusing (me).

So, what are your plans exactly?
Is this just an idea you have or is it something currently under development?
This runs down to the basic question: are we interested in something which needs to be build from the ground up/scratch or can it be expected before 2018?
I don't mean to be cynical, but all software developers so far in this niche of 3D all share the same habits: bad communication, bad planning, not living up to promises etc. etc.

Don't confuse (my) skepticism with not being constructive, please.
This niche of 3D has been through a lot of disappointments with their software developers (WM, Vue, TG) and thus are skeptical and not buying into something quickly.
Many have WHOIS-ed your website and tried to figure out who you are, just to get a sense of whether their hopes should be high or low.
I think the secretive way you're trying to do this (minimal website + vague long-read on plans) is meant to create some kind of buzz or 'viral' thing, but because of the "habits" explained above I think it's rather working strongly against you.
Yes, people definitely talk about your website and posts, but unfortunately not about your actual plans but rather about how vague this all is together.

I'm definitely interested and so are many others!
Heck, I might even pre-order this 'thing' of you if I would just have a better idea about all of this?

Lol, ok I get what you are saying. I'm definitely putting my name on to this once i have something that's a bit more interesting I agree it's a bit secretive at the moment. I'm in the middle of building the thing so I don't want to release something "half assed" if you know what I mean. In terms of what I'm going to put into it I have a blog post about that here https://blog.terrain-builder.com/just-starting-out-217991f15310#.2gxsclpfg hopefully that will explain a bit more.

I now have the basic building blocks of the UI almost finished I'll create a blog post about that soon (tm) :-)

Thanks for your interest, the post was originally only about seeing if people would be interested at all, so I guess I've figured out that they are.

-Terrain Builder

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 03:01:56 AM »
Hey all just added a new blog post with some screenshots:

https://blog.terrain-builder.com/terrain-builder-update-1-b87b3c487b8e#.y4hdyr31t

- Terrain Builder

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:18 AM »
Looks nice so far! I would recommend adding a search box using space bar. The space bar spawns a search box at cursor location, you directly type what node you want and a list appears, you select using cursor and you have a node at cursor location. All with minimal movement of mouse. It's from blender program, download that and see this in practice. Also, too bright colors are tiring for the eyes, make it light gray, or provide a few options to customize in user dashboard. Nodes are good for now. I would like to see function in the next post. Great job for your first look!

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Looks nice so far! I would recommend adding a search box using space bar. The space bar spawns a search box at cursor location, you directly type what node you want and a list appears, you select using cursor and you have a node at cursor location. All with minimal movement of mouse. It's from blender program, download that and see this in practice. Also, too bright colors are tiring for the eyes, make it light gray, or provide a few options to customize in user dashboard. Nodes are good for now. I would like to see function in the next post. Great job for your first look!

I know what you mean I'll put that on my todo should be very simple to do. Ill tone the. Plots down a bit and stick on a todo to allow a theme color with some presets would that be good enough? When you say function do you mean you would like to see a video ?

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
Nice ! I am impressed.

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
Yes some presets would be lovely. By function, I mean core function of the toolkit, terrain modelling. I'd like to see a demonstration of how it works so far. Some dialog box screens, viewport demo in a video or something. Whatever you can wrangle. Thanks!

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 03:11:41 AM »
Sure ok. I need to set-up some stuff on my end to get that working.

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
Looking forward to it!

== John ==

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
Just added another blog post here: https://blog.terrain-builder.com/terrain-builder-update-2-ee3ed59503be#.9qkh4syd3. I'd love feedback !

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:50 AM »
WTG looking good so far. I realize that it is early stage but keep it up.

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 02:29:15 AM »
Isn't there some more images of completed terrains using this software?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:34:54 AM by Maximum-Dev »

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
Isn't there some more images of completed terrains using this software?

No, I'm still in the process of creating the software at the moment.

Terrain Builder

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »
WTG looking good so far. I realize that it is early stage but keep it up.

Thanks a lot that means a lot to me !

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »
Okay. It sounds cool and I hope to see a preview of it very soon.
Good luck. :)