Author Topic: Is it possible to make a ramp in World Machine?  (Read 3863 times)

ojuzu

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Is it possible to make a ramp in World Machine?
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
(NOTE: I initially posted this in the guest forum until I realized my account here had been activated, so I'm re-posting here.)

I'm trying to create a ramp effect between two different height levels. This is for an RTS so I don't mind if it's an unnatural looking 45 degree smooth ramp. But I would like to have the edges use the erosion in the rest of my level so it fits in. I've tried using the several device combinations (including the Ramp device) but not luck so far.

Here's a screenshot with a quick sketch of what I'm trying to accomplish:

If the image doesn't load here's the link on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkxm0atzbzl2vas/wm_ramp_issue.jpg

And here's an example of what I'm striving for from Starcraft II:

Any help or suggestions of ways to achieve this would be much appreciated! My last resort is two alter the heightmap after exporting but I'm sure there's got to be a way to do this in World Machine, right?

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Is it possible to make a ramp in World Machine?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »
Hi there,

This is actually pretty straightforward to do, with only a couple bumps in the road:

1) Create a Layout Generator and wire your terrain into the terrain input of it

2) Double click on the layout generator. Select the Path shape and click twice, once at the start and end of your ramp(s). You probably want straight ramps, so then turn off the bezier curve on the shape by right-clicking and uncheck "Use bezier Path" (of course, if you want curved ramps, leave it on...)

3) Right click on the shape you've just created and choose "drop curve to surface". You might have to individually tweak the elevations a bit to get them where you want them. To do that, look at what the elevation is at the bottom of the ramp (its reported next to the cursor), then right click on the vertex, and "Set precise value". You should now have your ramps on the terrain!

4) (Optional) WM puts end-caps on paths that create circular landing pads at the top and bottom of the ramp. Because of this, it can be hard to make clean starts and ends on the ramps. However, applying erosion to the result will obliterate them...

Here's an example picture to help. Sadly, I created the example world in my dev version that is not publicly compatible for now, but here's what the network and result looks like:

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

ojuzu

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:26 PM »
That last screenshot is exactly what I'm looking for. Awesome, I never would've thought to explore the 'drop curve to surface' option so the help is much appreciated.

A couple of points/issues:

- You say to select a Path shape but I assume you mean a Line shape since I don't see a Path anywhere. Unless I'm missing something? Are you using a newer version? I'm using 2.3.6.3. Do I need version 3 for this?

- When using the Line shape I'm not able to get the nice wide and flat ramp shape you're getting here.

I'm not able to get the shape you're getting here even with the same device layout.

Thanks for the help!

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:48 AM »
Yep that is cool.
But as I can see the ramp will only be around 2-5 meter high . WM is lacking the ability to add small detail like that.
I wish that WM could improve in that area.
I am struggling to make hills, ramps and crater ring that is lower than 50 meter. It will hardly be notice in the heightmap but imported into game engine a 50 meter high ramp is HUGH ramp to drive up on...

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »
That last screenshot is exactly what I'm looking for. Awesome, I never would've thought to explore the 'drop curve to surface' option so the help is much appreciated.

A couple of points/issues:

- You say to select a Path shape but I assume you mean a Line shape since I don't see a Path anywhere. Unless I'm missing something? Are you using a newer version? I'm using 2.3.6.3. Do I need version 3 for this?

- When using the Line shape I'm not able to get the nice wide and flat ramp shape you're getting here.

I'm not able to get the shape you're getting here even with the same device layout.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, yes, I meant the lines shape. And I forgot one of the most important parts: Once you've created your shapes, assign them a custom falloff curve by editing the shape and assigning the custom falloff shape (the one with the graph logo) and then edit the falloff shape by adding a knot at the top, about 4 lines in from the left. Your falloff curve defines how the shape "falls away" from the center, so to get a flat top you just need to extend the flat area for most of the shape as we just did.

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

ojuzu

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
Ah yes, that makes sense. I'll try that today and report back if I have any issues. Thanks for the help!