Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hello WM community!

I'm currently struggling with a workflow for designing small features that I want to keep it's properties as I scale them down in XYZ.

My current workflow is to design them as small as possible while still getting reasonable look-feedback in 4k. Then I create a master scale parameter, then using scalar arithmetics to proportionally adjust every feature I think will impact scale, as I scale down the master parameter.

Purpose:
To design features in a reasonable size in the preview window, and then scale them down to required detail level.

Problem:
When I render scale down, with even with quite simple device networks, nothing keeps its look.

Practical Description:
I'm working on terrain 12x12km, (8k build res) and I have designed some fancy looking sand dunes. The issue is that they are averaging 200m between dune-tops, and I would like them to average more like 20m. When i Parameter-scale them down, even very simple device-networks fail to produce desired results.

Anyone have thoughts or solutions to this problem? I find the master parameter->arithmetic workflow really unreliable..

Perhaps:
Pre-generate a tiling texture, scaled in photoshop?
Can any tricks be done with the extents? Render hi-res to library and scale down?

Guest Forum / WM indie, resolution limited by memory
« Last post by matteo on July 17, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »
hello!
i wanted to know what does it mean "resolution limited by memory" in the indie version of WM    https://www.world-machine.com/purchase.php

What kind of memory are we talking about? graphic card memory? ram memory? hd memory?

if i buy WM indie will i be able to create 8k / 16k maps?

thx!!!

Feature Requests / Allow Camera movement in 3D View while node dialogs are up
« Last post by mattnava on July 15, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »
I work with a secondary window in the 3D view to see the terrain as I work. I often will edit a node's parameters, and will look at the terrain as I adjust the sliders to see its effect. I often want to see how the change will effect the the terrain from different perspectives. However, when a node's dialog is up, the 3D viewport locks and the camera cannot be orbited or moved at all. This means I find myself constantly ping ponging between adjusting parameters and then closing the dialog to change the view. The camera locking seems arbitrary and slows down the workflow. It would be great to allow camera navigation in the 3D viewport even when dialogs are up! I think its one of those small things that would really improve the editing experience. Thanks for considering this.

Matt Nava
Feature Requests / Re: Use curved device connectors, not angled
« Last post by mattnava on July 15, 2018, 11:34:21 PM »
 :D Great! Thank you so much!
Geology and Terrain / Re: How to make natural looking snow rocky mountains?
« Last post by WM_Moderator on July 13, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
Thanks, WFab! Also, Napulion, you might want to try making the scene with the new snow device that was just released in the Mt. Daniel build, that just came out this week on the dev channel. The snow device has seen a major overhaul and creates much more accurate and realistic snow-coverage now. Hope that helps!
Feature Requests / Re: Tiled Build, merge and UDIMs
« Last post by WM_Moderator on July 12, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the feature request! We'll add it to the list and take a look at feasibility / timing. Thanks again!
Feature Requests / Re: Use curved device connectors, not angled
« Last post by WM_Moderator on July 12, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the bump, @mattnava! We'll add it to the list of feature requests and take a look.
Announcements and News / Re: World Machine 2.3 Now Available
« Last post by WM_Moderator on July 12, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
You can get World Machine by going to www.world-machine.com. Thanks!
Hey there World Machine Community!

New release, named after a snowy peak here in Washington, Mt. Daniel, is out on the dev channel! Learn all about it in the latest blog post here: http://www.world-machine.com/blog/. Major updates include a completely new version of the snow device, including new example worlds and macros, and build improvements (especially with ultra-high resolutions), including improved reporting, fully cancellable builds, and better error handling. The full list of changes is in the Update Center (https://update.world-machine.com/upgrade.php). Attaching a photo of the route up Mt. Daniel - and the snow stays on this mountain all year round in varying degrees of melt/accumulation. Happy World Machining!
Bug Reports and Help / Can't Import Terrain To UE4
« Last post by HeartOfFrost on July 07, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
Hey guys,

I downloaded and began working in World Machine yesterday. I've had a look and tried to follow numerous tutorials on exporting WM heightmaps and weights/textures to Unreal Engine, but i haven't succeeded. I'm doing this for a game project and have no idea how to fix the problem.

Could you please help me sort this out? Can anyone that has done what i'm trying to do give me a hand?

Thanks a lot,
Lexi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10