Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Guest Forum / How do I do Biomes
« Last post by chiefarchon on April 12, 2018, 02:21:33 AM »
I'm looking to make a tiled Terrain to be used in UE4.

The Terrain will be tiled at 10x10 and Resolution 2017 for each tile.

I would like to have biomes: Snow, jungle, forrest, desert, volcanic, etc. etc.

Can anyone advise on how to go about making these biomes. Are there any recommended macrose, or methods, or are there any videos about biome creation.

I would be so very grateful for any help that you could give.
Guest Forum / Geoglyph Devices Not Working?
« Last post by Swiftfire211 on April 10, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
Hi, I just had a problem with Geoglyph 2.0 Community I installed a couple of days ago. I had tried contacting Geoglyph's own support shortly after I installed it about a different issue, and still haven't gotten a response, so I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a faster answer!

Basically, all the Geoglyph macros are working properly, but the devices are not. The devices are showing up properly in the menu, and I can select them and place them on the graph. I can also connect them with other devices/macros, and I can edit their attributes. However, none of the devices actually do anything, no matter how I edit their attributes or connect them to other devices. They also work very slowly whenever I try to change their settings, sometimes freezing World Machine for a couple of seconds. I've checked, and I seem to be using the correct files for the devices for the version of World Machine I'm using (2.3.7 professional), and the files seem to be in the correct spots.

Any help would be much appreciated!
General Discussion / Need help with large 3d map or Caribbean
« Last post by Hawkpryde72 on April 10, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »
Been trying for weeks but can't seem to figure out how to do this. I'm developing a pirate game that takes place in the Caribbean and need a map to sail around. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Hi,

Thank you so much for the response and for understanding my perspective/use case! I really appreciate it. I hope it does turn out to be a trivial feature  :)

Matt Nava
Geology and Terrain / Re: Import base land and 'add' a hole
« Last post by WM_Moderator on April 08, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the awesome answer, WFab! :)
General Discussion / Re: Numerical precision
« Last post by Adam Pliska on April 05, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
I think this question can be linked with mine - http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=3590.0
Just wondering if there is a tool that will allow one to round the height generated by any of the components to a value within a specific range. For example, if I set it to round to the nearest 100/th then any value would rounded to .001.

In Excel this function is called MRound. See this: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/mround-function-c299c3b0-15a5-426d-aa4b-d2d5b3baf427
::: Returns a number rounded to the desired multiple.

Ideally the rounding range would be variable so I could go from .1 to .00001, etc. This could also be expressed in units, such as meters at the extreme would be rounding to the nearest meter. (not that useful for me)
My project requires that height is defined in meters, and that no height falls outside of 1/20th of a meter. (each meter is split into 20 parts)

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
« Last post by tudorwhiteley on April 05, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
I especially appreciate the terminology lesson. 
Understanding the lingo always helps me better understand what I need to search for next time.
Cheers,
Tudor
« Last post by WFab on April 05, 2018, 05:32:22 AM »
All of it can be done. There are multiple ways to do it all.

1. Import png using file input, set "Resampling method" to fractal. Adjust roughness. Or do it the old way, import png, use blur filter to get smooth shape, combine with some noise, and erode. First way gives you more accurate results. Use erosion after to get realistic results and masks.
2. Answered in "1"
3. Yes, you can do it. Again, many ways to do it. All of them a bit hard to explain in text. Look up some "combining terrains" tutorials on geekatplay site: http://www.geekatplay.com/world-machine-tutorials.php

Good luck!
Geology and Terrain / Import base land and 'add' a hole
« Last post by tudorwhiteley on April 04, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm trying to figure out whether World Machine would allow me to do the following.
I have a shp file which represents a specific region of the world.
I can export that as a png but it is 8-bit so when I import it into Unreal Engine it has steps.
What I would like to do is import that into World Machine??
1. Is that possible?
2. Have world machine 'smooth' out the steps caused by the low bit image...?  possible?
3. Then cut a whole out of the land based on another heightmap (from a shape file) that I have.
I'm trying to avoid having |_ type steps in my landscape but retain the overall shape... so I really want \ vs. |_
Can this be done?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tudor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10