Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: How does WM compress weight maps?
« Last post by johan on November 04, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
No one?
General Discussion / Re: Combining two world machine tiles in Maya / UE4
« Last post by ArtfulDodger on November 01, 2018, 01:54:52 PM »
Hey just off the top of my head.  You could either export both height maps or meshes from WM into zBrush, put them on the same layer and zRemesh / Dynamesh them together.  Export the now combined two meshes back into WM via a File input node.  At this point you have both original maps combined into one terrain, but youíll have to work on the detail of the seam you connected in zBrush.  Iím sorry if this is totally off, but good luck otherwise l.
General Discussion / Re: Make Edges match each other? Seamless terrain
« Last post by johan on November 01, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
I would probably export a piece of terrain to Zbrush and make some custom brushes and kit-bash those via alpha's on a sphere.
General Discussion / Re: Import into UE4 / unreal using world composition
« Last post by johan on October 31, 2018, 08:04:40 PM »
You can change the Z value. If i remember correctly, you need to select the landscape actor that is being created, not the the proxy's them self. If the values are greyed out you need to right-click on the landscape actor and ''unlock transform''. now you can change the height.
I suggest you look through the forum contents first. Dig deep to find what info you're looking for.

I don't understand what you mean by "quality of world machine" here. I assume you mean terrain quality? I've found world machine to be most flexible when it comes to terrain quality. World creator has it's perks, but nowhere close when it comes to final quality of the terrain features. World machine just requires you to learn the workings of nodes better. You can never go back to layers once you tame the nodes!

I'd like to know more about your workflow. What kind of pipeline you have? What is your worldmachine version, and edition? What resolution are you working on? What kind of terrain effects you feel are missing in world machine compared to world creator?

If you like to talk more freely, I'd like to invite you to the world machine software group https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldmachine.software on facebook. Do let me know your facebook name first, pm if you like.

I assume you're still on build 2.3.7 or earlier? Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Upgrade to the latest development build. This issue has been fixed.
2. If you don't want to or can't upgrade, disable "geological time enhancement" in the "erosion" device. Try doing the erosion brute force instead.
Guest Forum / Re: WM indie, resolution limited by memory
« Last post by JavaJones on October 31, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »
RAM/system memory. WM does not use the GPU for calculation.

- Oshyan
Guest Forum / Re: WM indie, resolution limited by memory
« Last post by kardigans on October 30, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »
Means "no paging"
General Discussion / How does WM compress weight maps?
« Last post by johan on October 30, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
Hi, i needed to edit some of the weight maps in Photoshop, i then exported them to 8bit grey scale, however they are still double the total bits and file size when i check the details of the image in windows.  :?

This is the original image from WM. https://image.prntscr.com/image/KvYWn0U8QUazI_2RpziRgw.png

and this is the edited one from PS, exported at 8bit greyscale. https://image.prntscr.com/image/u1Xo-J4ESea5CtI-Kp0mTg.png
Guest Forum / Extremely large world, but with targetted LOD?
« Last post by Wes on October 30, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
Hi all! Quick question about your lovely software.

I'm a Unity developer in the market for a large-scale world generation system for a railroad-based project. I'd love to have a world in the scale of 500-1,000 km square (that is, 500x500km or 1,000x1,000km), with something like 2-3m detail resolution in the viscinity of the railroad (the 'playable area'), but then large swathes of very low-resolution wherever the railroad track isn't. The high-detail cells would be used for gameplay, and the low-detail cells would serve only for rendering a map of the world in the UI.

I could see something like a world separated into 128x128 cells, and those tiles ranging between 16x16 and 2048x2048 resolution, depending on whether they are close to the railroad or not.

Something like this, with black being 'low res' and white/blue being 'high res' along the railroad line:

(The numbers I suggested here are very rough; I haven't actually calculated how much real estate it would take to pull off this kind of system, nor how much rail line I'm going to be able to lay down on this 'continent.') The creative process would probably involve generating a low-detail map first, then determining where rail lines will be laid (based on terrain features), and then doing a second pass to generate high-detail versions of the tiles that are near the rail.

Does this general concept sound like something WorldMachine would be suited to, or perhaps already have resources for pulling off? (And if not, any clever ideas?)

Thank you very much!

Wes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10