Author Topic: More Devices  (Read 2925 times)

Al

More Devices
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
Hey Stephen. Glad to post here. I have a few questions for you.

What are you thoughts about working on additional erosion filters like for creating different flows, cuts, real river networks, drainage basins, talus rock noise, and fans, you know stuff like that. I am sure you know what i am talking about that the other competition has such things but it would be cool to see this in world machine.

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: More Devices
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi Al,

I would love to add more geologically based filters to World Machine. There is no reason in principle why not to to add them to World Machine as it stands now, and there are a few things in the pipeline that I don't want to talk about yet that are right up that alley. However, looking at where I want to take WM, they make much more sense in the next iteration of the WM technology than WM 2.2. One of the things I've most wanted to do is have realistic drainage models that make sense on both a global and local sense -- this also gives even more maps to provide texturing inputs, and allow you to drive your texturing system with realistic ecosystem data.

That said, you can definitely get deltas, etc out of the current erosion model, but it is an emergent feature (one that occurs where the model says it should) rather than a placed feature (one you can control where it occurs).
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine