Author Topic: Seamless geophysical strata across tile boundaries  (Read 2800 times)

Andy

Seamless geophysical strata across tile boundaries
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
Hi on the cursory look so far at the product I am unsure about whether or not geophysical strata in adjacent tiles is catered for in terms of meeting the edge profile of neighbours when auto generating acrossing tile boundaries. I am not sure if it is clear what I am trying to ask, let me put it in this perspective.

All I seem to have in WM is individual tiles that have the appearance (at the boundary of the tile) of perhaps having been sliced vertically through the conceptual terrain; cutting a ridge at the tile boundary creates a height profile that would need to be met in the boundries of neighbouring tiles.

My concern is that a random generated terrain must have a fixed boundary height to ensure a match for the neighbouring tile.

Any comments on how tiles are kniitted together would help, thanks!

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Seamless geophysical strata across tile boundaries
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, so forgive me if I go afield.

You're correct that edge-matching is one of the challenges of tiled rendering. Purely fractal-based terrains in WM generally have perfect edge matching; Terrains that heavily use simulations (Erosion, Snow, etc) need to be blended across edges. World Machine does this automatically for you with the Professional Edition's tiled rendering ability. The output will always have matching edge vertices; the fidelity of the simulations across the boundary will vary with the specific settings but generally the larger the blend percentage the better the job.

Does this answer your question at all?

Cheers
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Saravji

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seamless geophysical strata across tile boundaries
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
Hello,
I am not sure if I am asking the same question, it is closely related, anyhow.

I created a tiled world that I want to use in jMonkeyEngine.
This package requires the tile size to be a power of two plus 1 (129, 257, 513, 1025), what is typical for games, if I am not completely wrong. The tiles are then being put together at a distance of 256 units, the 1 unit overlap created ensures no visible gaps at the edges.
The standard requirements and recomodation for WM are to use a size that is a power of 2 (128, 256, 512, 1024) units.
If I am adjusting the size to a power of two plus 1, this changes the whole size.

So my question is: How do I have to adjust the settings in WM to achieve this one unit overlap?

I think this overlap would also solve Andy's concern of not having a gap at the edges between the tiles.

Thanks,