Author Topic: Scale Effects on Erosion  (Read 1988 times)

Yzed608

Scale Effects on Erosion
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Does the scale of the map affect the output from a natural erosion node?  So does it produce the same erosion if the world was 8km X 8km vs 1.5km X 1.5km?  Or does it take into account the size of the terrain into erosion and creates appropriate erosion for that size?  I'm just wondering because I have terrains rendered previously (not from wm) and they are small scale (~600m X 600m), which after setting up this size correctly and height, only seems to output black images (seems like wm doesn't like small scale and it can't pick up the height differences at that scale).  Tried playing with the bias/gain, but had to use insane values to make the output show anything.

So if it doesn't take into account the size I could just make the world large and run the erosion there.  But if it doesn't, I don't want erosion that's unrealistic for that scale to be used...

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Scale Effects on Erosion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
erosion device erodes independent of scale, so the default settings are best for realistic erosion. in fact in 2 years i've been working with wm, i never had to change the scale of terrain in wm. i can always do it later in the game engine or rendering program i'm working in.