Author Topic: General help to get started?  (Read 2022 times)

Tore

• Community Member
    • View Profile
General help to get started?
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »
Greetings World Machine people!

First off, WOW this piece of software looks awesome! Love the node based approach!

IŽll try and keep this brief: I work for a company that makes maps and graphics for a television show about hiking and such. It's set in Norway, often in mountainous locations. For the coming season I've worked with a company called Bengler, and using their Terrafab program I can extract DTM data for anywhere in Norway (you can only get basic models, we bought a separate system from them). This data is plugged into a rig I've made in Cinema 4D, where I add graphics. The reason I'm looking for help to get started with WM is the lack of grebles, of texture and quality in the terrains I produce. I have the basic shape (1:50 000 scale, I believe), and WM looks perfect for making more interesting shapes and textures while still retaining the basic, actual shape.

- Can anyone be so kind as to give some pointers to filters or device stacks most commonly used to generate details + textures for corrotion, rocky surfaces and the like? I understand the textures can act alongside the erosion device, but how? I don't mind tutorials and experimenting on my own, but I have limited time for doing so.

- I have separate textures for forest density (black/white) and a water mask (same), can they be of any use in WM?

- I've played with the free version and imported my data, added some general erosion etc, but the quality seems much lower than in the videos and images you guys post. That's just the resolution cap, right?

Here's a link to a zip file (97mb) containing a video example of my work so far, and the original textures I use (including DTM) + a link to the location on Google Maps.

Here's basically what I'm aiming for:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Thanks for reading my post! Any and all input is most welcome. If this works the way I think it does we'll buy a pro version for the next season.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:46:06 AM by Tore »

enjoy_vue

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: General help to get started?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
search here for world machine tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GeekatplayStudio/videos
...sorry, english is not my native language.

Tore

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Thanks!!! Looks like there's a ton of stuff there :)

OlaHaldor

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio / Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
Good to see you're updating the graphics profile for 71° Nord! It's about time! :)
You don't happen to be in Oslo ? I'm in Drammen.

Basically what you're after is;
- higher res height maps (requires at least the standard license)
- tiny bit of noise
- erosion

You may also want to use the different texture macros available both as default but also the ones you find in the library.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:21:39 PM by OlaHaldor »
Windows 10 Pro | i7 5960x | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080