Author Topic: sediment carry into water  (Read 2758 times)

LaFrance

• Community Member
    • View Profile
sediment carry into water
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
before I add this to the feature request area, just thought I'd see if anyone has ideas on this "problem."
I want to carve up a given heightfield with erosion. It is hills almost completely surrounding a small body of water.
The sedimentation builds up upon the "water" surface as if it were solid ground, as the erosion doesn't take into
account a surface that can effectively absorb the sediment. I can always go in after the fact and remove this, but..
I think the surrounding geography will be shaped significantly different than if the sediment actually disappeared
where it should, sinking beneath the water surface.  Any ideas on accomplishing this? if we could pipe map-based inputs into
sediment carry in the erosion device perhaps.. (I'd also love to see map-based inputs into rock hardness in the erosion device,
to vary the hardness spatially)

thanks
Brian

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: sediment carry into water
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
Hi there,

This is a great suggestion -- and is actually something I"m actively looking into, as it ties in perfectly with some river system work that is going on at the moment as well.

Last time I experimented, I didn't find a hardness map input much more useful than simply masking -- but I'll take a look again, the code is already in place for it.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:54:16 AM »
Oh man...did I just hear you say masking for hardness? And perhaps also for the sediment flow???

That would be absolutely awesome!

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Just a followup after evaluating these two ideas in a prototype:

I've re-evaluated the hardness input map idea and I do believe now that it is probably worthwhile. When I tested it last, I was only essentially modulating the erosion susceptibility at a point; the new version uses the hardness to also determine sediment capacity and filter application, which makes the effect pronounced enough to be useful. It improves upon basic masking by letting you have areas of greatly differing erosion amounts; note though that if you need absolute masking (areas whose height values are completely unaffected) you still need to use the regular mask input.

The sediment sink mask input is a huge benefit, and is definitely in place. It is useful for any areas of the map that should remain clear of sedimentation; this is useful for lakes, rivers, etc but also useful for roads (the highway department does something after all), etc. It also solves a major problem that the upcoming river tool had coexisting with erosion.

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:51:02 AM »
Sounds great, thanks for chiming in :)

goblox

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »
actively looking into, as it ties in perfectly with some river system work that is going on at the moment as well.

You said "river system work" but all I head was meander.  :D