Author Topic: An actual curve/gradient editor  (Read 1749 times)

Cubik

• WM Pro Beta Tester
  • World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
    • the Embassy VFX
An actual curve/gradient editor
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
That spline button in the curve editor has been dormant for a while ;-)

It would be extremely helpful to have a robust spline and gradient/ramp editor that can be used to generate all data types.  These are fundamental remapping tools that are sorely underdeveloped and could use some TLC to bring them back up to speed.  I always miss these two things when jumping out of Houdini into WM.
Simon van de Lagemaat
the Embassy Visual Effects
www.theembassyvfx.com

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: An actual curve/gradient editor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
Hi there,

Agree completely. It's actually already built out for the next dev release :) Or at least, a general curve editor that can do splines or linear segments and is more controllable than the rough sketchy tool currently built in.

Curves are a new datatype, so you can actually generate a curve and then plug it into multiple places/transform it within the device network; the curve editor will also be shared between the curve device and the layout properties dialog.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Cubik

• WM Pro Beta Tester
  • World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
    • the Embassy VFX
Re: An actual curve/gradient editor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Yes! I just read your dev log and noticed that you were working on a proper curve data type, very nice.  I'm also digging the user defined datatypes feature.

Hi there,

Agree completely. It's actually already built out for the next dev release :) Or at least, a general curve editor that can do splines or linear segments and is more controllable than the rough sketchy tool currently built in.

Curves are a new datatype, so you can actually generate a curve and then plug it into multiple places/transform it within the device network; the curve editor will also be shared between the curve device and the layout properties dialog.
Simon van de Lagemaat
the Embassy Visual Effects
www.theembassyvfx.com