Author Topic: Sense of Scale  (Read 4242 times)

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Sense of Scale
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Hi there,

It would be a miracle, if there was an option to drop a 6 poly box in the 3D view and move it around. The only adjustable parameter being it's x,y,z dimensions.

With the size of the box being user defined, we can finally have an excellent sense when we are creating mountains, roads, rivers, erosion etc. This is really fantastic to have a box with the size of a human or a car (or anything I'd want to fit on certain places) so I can directly move it around, rotate it like I'd do in 3Ds MAX. Basically, this feature helps to create more game-play friendly terrains by having an excellent sense of scale when we are looking at the terrain in 3D view.

Sense of scale has always been a big issue to me, specially since I create maps in various sizes.

ozdeadmeat

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sense of Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:58:47 AM »
I absolutely agree with this. I am getting my terrain into Arma 3 and finding that the 'rocks' are the size of aircraft carriers.

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
Hi,

I'm here with two questions,

First, is the OP being considered?

Second, (as an example). It's an 8k map I did right now and I need to know the size of that circled bump without me keep going back and fourth between WM and game engine just to find the right scales. Is that bump the size of a car? a house? a big building? Any way to figure it out?

ozdeadmeat

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »
Even a ruler you can dynamical draw on the terrain would be very useful.

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »
Even a ruler you can dynamical draw on the terrain would be very useful.

That would be great for having gameplay in mind while creating terrains. Specially for multiplayer maps where it's all about distances and balance.

jgwinner

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
Agreed, this would be very useful.

== John ==

duke54

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
A way to measure scale is a 'must have' feature for game makers.I have spent too much time trying to get a handle on the size of my terrain by constantly going back and forth between my game engine and WM, a single iteration of which can take 30 min. With just a few simple in game tests the hours start to really add up.

sfriedberg

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
A couple of excellent approaches were discussed back in 2013 in this thread.  The one I especially like is overlaying a tiling nested-square texture where you know how much "model space" each size of texture square takes up.  See ivanhawkes's post in that thread.

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
Cough!

Try and download macro Grid 2.1

Cheers

duke54

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
Thanks I'm trying out your grid device. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Also, how do I use it? What's the 2nd input for?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:45:27 PM by duke54 »

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 01:51:54 AM »

duke54

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks!

Maximum-Dev

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:31:53 AM »
That's useful. Thanks Hotshot. However, being able to input values other than 10/100/1000 and 500 would be a lot useful.

Edit: Don't be fooled by the squares.

This measurement stays true only if your terrain in game engine is the same size as your render extents in WM. For example if your extents are 8kmx8km in WM your output terrain should also be 8kmx8km in the game engine. So if you have world extents like 12kmx12km in WM but import the terrain in game engine as a 8kmx8km terrain the scale you have seen by the squares goes off.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:59:57 AM by Maximum-Dev »