Author Topic: WM used in Ghost Recon Wildlands  (Read 1794 times)

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
WM used in Ghost Recon Wildlands
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
I was at GDC a couple weeks ago. There was a presentation at the HOUDINI booth and a corresponding session as well. A member of the Houdini forum posted the links below (thanks Andr1).

In short, they use WM for the Wildland terrains and the corresponding terrain derived maps. The philosophy was as procedurally driven environments as a base. Houdini Engine with procedural work flow was used for buildings, roads, railroad tracks, bridges - pretty much anything man-made.

Here a .pdf shared by one of the authors of the presentation:
https://666uille.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/gdc2017_ghostreconwildlands_terrainandtechnologytools-onlinevideos1.pdf [666uille.files.wordpress.com]

and here the vimeo channel with the vids displayed during the lecture:
https://vimeo.com/user2172456 [vimeo.com]

*video link added:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024029/-Ghost-Recon-Wildlands-Terrain
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:32:21 AM by sundevildave »

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: WM used in Ghost Recon Wildlands
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
WOW awesome thank you for sharing!

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
Cool! I was waiting for something about that presentation being released, usually it takes a lot for the full panels

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Cool! I was waiting for something about that presentation being released, usually it takes a lot for the full panels

To those who don't have the $$$ subscription, my apologies. The posted PDF above is really good alternative.

Subscription required It's free!:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:14:30 AM by sundevildave »

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:25:48 AM »
great, thanks a lot for sharing !

Man, I really wish, we had such Tools at our hands or in an engine like unity or UE... but I guess this kind of tools
set small indie studio and AAA 100 man+ productions apart

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:12:47 AM »
I feel like some of those tools, like the material distribution based on rules and weight of the rules could probably be reproduced in UE4, but I'm not an advanced user, I'd need to learn more to reproduce it.

By the way i can watch the video without subscription, are you sure it needs a subscription?

Were there any other interesting panels about terrains at the GDC except the Houdini one? And where can i find that one and other ones?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:20:57 AM by JakBB »

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »
I feel like some of those tools, like the material distribution based on rules and weight of the rules could probably be reproduced in UE4, but I'm not an advanced user, I'd need to learn more to reproduce it.

By the way i can watch the video without subscription, are you sure it needs a subscription?

Were there any other interesting panels about terrains at the GDC except the Houdini one? And where can i find that one and other ones?

I'm really glad you asked that! It turns out to be a freebie after all.  :D  The Vault wasn't picking up on my keywords searches. I logged out and I still can find it when I look for it correctly.

verify that it works? someone?

Other talks that involved terrain development? not that I have taken notice of

The rules should be reproducible in UE4 with blueprints.

Here is an cool road editor that I have tested on WM heightmaps in UE4. http://talos-studio.com/
This uses much of the same type rules that HOUDINI is using for creating roads objects.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:12:23 AM by sundevildave »

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »

Man, I really wish, we had such Tools at our hands or in an engine like unity or UE... but I guess this kind of tools

Actually, at the PEAK of production, there were about 35 people (half in Paris, half in Budapest). For pre-production it was about 5 people (4 technical artists, and 1 programmer)

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
That road tool you posted is definitely not as impressive as the tools they built for Ghost Recon, the one you linked doesn't have the procedural pathfinding, which to me is a mindblowingly amazing feature.

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
That road tool you posted is definitely not as impressive as the tools they built for Ghost Recon, the one you linked doesn't have the procedural pathfinding, which to me is a mindblowingly amazing feature.

I totally agree. The pathfinding Ubisoft used for procedurally producing the roads was very cool...I am sure UE4 could do it - somehow  :shock:

The idea using UE4 as a DCC tool is the point though. Relegating the old guard of DCC tools (Maya, Max, etc) to do more of the background processing - WM included.  From what I understand, they would do a monthly Bake of the base WM layer. The WM layer was farmed out to a slew of machines.

Onkelpoe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:41:06 AM »

Actually, at the PEAK of production, there were about 35 people (half in Paris, half in Budapest). For pre-production it was about 5 people (4 technical artists, and 1 programmer)

35 vs 1 or 2 people feels like 1 vs 100 , does not matter, hehehehe

what I was trying to say: they got people for programming own, custom shaders and tools and for brainstorming, skilled workers for every aspect or
software, they use. In smaller studios, you will not have that. Maybe 1 guy good in sculpting and maybe animating stuff, but no shader-programmer or something like this, you know? You can not cover every aspect at the same depth, that large studios can

bibi5000

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:55:01 AM »
I am a bit puzzled by what they mean if they say they used a "custom worldmachine build" and computation took 12 hours "spread across 16 workstations" to render that 32k heightmap.
Do they speak of actual distributed rendering, or a rendering that is distributed via render manager or a script?

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
I am a bit puzzled by what they mean if they say they used a "custom worldmachine build" and computation took 12 hours "spread across 16 workstations" to render that 32k heightmap.
Do they speak of actual distributed rendering, or a rendering that is distributed via render manager or a script?

WM has commandline access. A render manager like Qube should be able to distribute a tiled job over a small farm. I haven't done it, but the idea intrigues me.

sundevildave

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »

35 vs 1 or 2 people feels like 1 vs 100 , does not matter, hehehehe

what I was trying to say: they got people for programming own, custom shaders and tools and for brainstorming, skilled workers for every aspect or
software, they use. In smaller studios, you will not have that. Maybe 1 guy good in sculpting and maybe animating stuff, but no shader-programmer or something like this, you know? You can not cover every aspect at the same depth, that large studios can

yeah, generalists don't have the time to get real deep without sacrificing another area. That's when you need the software to have the tools YOU don't have time to invent yourself, OR they come out of the community.

I wonder if there is a procedural way for road networks to be produced in WM maps.