Author Topic: Facebook Page Closed Group?  (Read 676 times)

Richard

Facebook Page Closed Group?
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
WM,
I consider myself an advanced/intermediate but professional user of World Machine, These forums are obviously not active at all, however they are full of great information. The production company I work for uses World machine on every project. We use the forums as a search engine to look for what we are looking for then get back to work. I am on Facebook and I notice that World Machine Software has a Facebook Group as well, I am assuming if it's active there is alot of knowledge being shared there as well. I don't know this because the Group unlike the main forum here is closed for viewing for the public? Having 2 resources with 2 different viewing settings is extremely confusing to us. Is this group active and if so why is it closed to viewing?

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Facebook Page Closed Group?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:54:34 AM »
The facebook group is not an official group. We are not associated with World machine software LLC in any way. This forum is the only official mode of communication about world machine.

That being said, you can join the group if you want to see the content being posted there. It's indeed more active than this forum. I'm the admin and it's my choice to keep it closed. I was thinking about creating another open group, but that idea was killed before it began.

If you want to see content being posted or post something yourself, please join the facebook group. Do read the group description first.

sfriedberg

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
Just a comment.  There are still Neolithic oldtimers out there, like myself, who do not belong to Facebook, and never will.

While I completely understand (and approve of) restricting comments to known group members, hiding the forum content from the public seems unproductive.

JakBB

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »
You are definitely not the first person with the same complaint, but I suppose there is no real solution to this problem, since I barely doubt that enough people will be active on this forum if we close the Facebook group, especially since it wasn't the case when the group didn't exist yet.

Someone already tried doing the same with a Slack group, but that place was less active than the forums.

I guess the best solution for people not wanting to use Facebook is creating a fake account and using it only for the group.

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
@JakBB: I do not let in fake accounts, disposable accounts (active but with a fake handle as a name), business accounts (accounts used for marketing and other specific uses), and empty accounts (I ask for some info personally before I let them in). Right now, 99 % of people in there are using their personal IDs, and all are verified wm users. There is absolutely no spam and unrelated content in there because of these policies.

@sfriedberg: If you don't like facebook platform, you will probably gain nothing from it either. This forum is the only official communication platform for world machine, so you are not missing a lot.

The main reason slack group failed was because not one of it's members was comfortable with the platform. It's uninspiring to communicate using tools of that kind, unless it's directed towards a specific purpose (like beta testing group, bug reporting system etc). The purpose of the facebook group is to provide a platform for facebook addicts like myself, to communicate about world machine using familiar systems. If you're not interested in joining facebook, or joining the group itself, you don't fit that bill. It's not a gallery, or a content stealing platform, there are just too many of those. You want to see content, you commit to the group spirit. At least give up your valid identity. That's the point of a closed group.

DannyG

• Community Member
    • View Profile
    • New World Digital Art
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
You are definitely not the first person with the same complaint, but I suppose there is no real solution to this problem, since I barely doubt that enough people will be active on this forum if we close the Facebook group, especially since it wasn't the case when the group didn't exist yet.

Someone already tried doing the same with a Slack group, but that place was less active than the forums.

I guess the best solution for people not wanting to use Facebook is creating a fake account and using it only for the group.

I am a former member of the Facebook group. I say former because WFab deleted me because I questioned his Gestapo like ruling of the group. I guess having an opinion in a group setting is considered "trouble making" to this guy. That said I also think it should be an open viewing group like many other membersy in the group and here  ...apparently.  It's an extremely unproductive platform set up the way it is I agree. Lots of great information by some of World Machine's best users in there. IMO essential for any level user of straight WM or WM W/GeoGlyph, It's the only place that has active experienced members experimenting and posting results...Pretty active as well. Too bad for the effected companies that one person intentionally limits it's audience. Look at this forum? It's dead

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
I am a former member of the Facebook group. I say former because WFab deleted me because I questioned his Gestapo like ruling of the group. I guess having an opinion in a group setting is considered "trouble making" to this guy. That said I also think it should be an open viewing group like many other membersy in the group and here  ...apparently.  It's an extremely unproductive platform set up the way it is I agree. Lots of great information by some of World Machine's best users in there. IMO essential for any level user of straight WM or WM W/GeoGlyph, It's the only place that has active experienced members experimenting and posting results...Pretty active as well. Too bad for the effected companies that one person intentionally limits it's audience. Look at this forum? It's dead

Thanks for chiming in @DannyG!

To everyone else, this guy is the only member ever removed from the group. Simple reason was, his habit of creating drama and random hostility over some petty problem. Like here itself. He created his 5th post in this forum, to create drama, and then he says it's dead. I rather didn't want to remove him, but like here, I realized he isn't capable of a civil conversation without drama, at least where I'm concerned.

As far as "gestapo like rules" go, his is an isolated case. I never removed anyone besides him. And even Danny here was warned, twice. Like I said, while it's not an official group, it's still an active community. There are also other open groups like the few DannyG here manages, you can join those too. They may not be world machine specific, but landscape design community is quite a friendly one.