Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bug Reports and Help / Layout generator and drawing with lines - SLOW
« Last post by caldreemn on February 19, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
Hi,

I know this issue has been brought up before on the forums, but drawing lines with the layout generator renders use of WM completely unusable. When trying to draw the line(s), or manipulate the line(s), the system slows to a crawl.

My computer is running the latest build of Windows 10, Intel 5960 (8 core), 64GB of RAM and (4) Titan X Pascals.

Can you please update us with some information on whether, or not this can, or will be addressed?

Thanks.
Works in Progress / Re: Terrain with Houdini
« Last post by WFab on February 19, 2018, 04:06:08 PM »
Then I'd say

1. Reduce size of trees to 3/4 the current size
2. Yes, add 1.5 times the current amount of trees
3. Use some better texturing on the slopes, looks like paper for now. For illustrative use this would have been good though.
4. I like the bridge idea, but doubtful if the shapes in your terrain will allow it.

For photorealism, terrain itself may need some more work. Also, what do you use to populate trees? Avoid populating on visible slopes. That's all I can think of at this point. I like your scene assembly though. A bit more fine tuning, and it will shine!
« Last post by GUSVFX on February 19, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
My goal is to get as photoreal as possible.  I know adding more trees and vegetation will help, but I think I need to add a man-made landmark to really sell it, that's why I was thinking of a power line tower, but they are not very nice looking, my other option is to add a bridge...
« Last post by WFab on February 19, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »
Looks awesome! Are you going for cartoonish or realistic look?
Works in Progress / Terrain with Houdini
« Last post by GUSVFX on February 19, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
Hi Guys,

This is my second post, I wanted to share some wip with my WM > Houdini pipeline.  It took me me about 3 days to put it all together. Next I want to add more details and elements - maybe a power line tower crossing the terrain... I'm open to suggestions.

Feebback is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Gus

www.gusvfx.com
Hello WorldMachine team,

First of all congratulations on a great release with 3019 Mailbox Peak. All the new stuff is very welcome and the responsiveness in the interface and when tweaking nodes is wonderful. Also, now I can finally actually use my Wacom pen with WM :)

I have a few suggestions that would make my life easier and I guess therefore I am not the only one:

1. I usually output geometry, heightmap, and each of the various outputs from Erosion in each their bitmap, plus one or more mixed ones. It would be very helpful if it woud be possible to use template naming, so I don't have to enter and change each output node manually one by one. This is known form 3D DCC's and works like having ie. <Scene> as part of the filename, so when I change my scene name to from Mountain_A_01 to Mountain_B_01, this automatically would be part of the output name of each output geo or bitmap, so I would avoid overwriting the previous set.

2. It would be wonderful to be able to warp terraces and heighmap coloring so it is not perfectly aligned in height, ie. display real life geological plate warping in height, making it easier to create realistic geometry and textures.

3. Vector displacement filters for creating overhangs.

4. Nr. 3 could open up for hydrodynamic erosion filters + others and make more advanced rockface generation possible.

Thank you again for a great new release - I hope you can see the potential benefits of my suggestions and I hope to see them in upcoming versions of WM :)

Best Regards
Morten Bartholdy
Development News / Re: When will WM 3 get released finally?
« Last post by jaf on February 18, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Anyone know if v3019 (released in January -- "mailbox peek") is the end of the line or will development continue?
Thanks for the information. I'll wait for the 3019 support then. Just don't want to change the installation constantly and at the moment I'm occupied with other things anyway.
General Discussion / Trying to find a good place to start
« Last post by acblevins on February 14, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
Hello all,

I just bought the standard edition of world machine after messing around with the free version for a bit. I am currently going through all of the example worlds in the program itself and learning from that before moving on.

I know I want to use world machine to make massive open world terrains. I am also using UE4 and doing some mod work in Squads, hoping I can take what I learn from that and apply it to PUBG and Dead Matter when both of those games allow it.

PUBG for example has two maps that are both 8 km by 8km. How do you plan out a terrain that big?
Geology and Terrain / Continents Scale
« Last post by GUSVFX on February 14, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Hello there,

I rencently purchased the standart edition of World Machine and so far really like the software!

It was fast to put together a concept style frame and bring that to Houdini to add some vegetation on top.  I have attached my render for reference.

I have a question regarding scale.  I need to be able to zoom out enouth to see the continent land and somehow make an envolution from the Cretaceous period to today's terrain (attached image for reference).

Is there a way to bring curves into World Machine and use that as a mask for the advance perlin? Can I paint the heightmap and use it as displacement?

Looking for creative solutions to achieve this effect.

Thanks in advace!
Gus

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10