• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 18, 2019, 05:47:56 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Node: Mid-Tree terrain Baking

Started by Ben, January 06, 2009, 03:20:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Due to the resolution dependence of erosion I'd like to suggest a convenience node to help bypass this problem. Of course resolution independent erosion would be the preferred choice but maybe this is more viable. What I would love is to be able to have outputs set their resolution. However, this would potentially be very bad when you have such nodes that are dependent. The output resolutions would create inconsistent results.

So maybe if there was a new node. All it would do is bake its input (at a preferred resolution separate from the world res) into a bitmap and output that bitmap. Perhaps you don't let the user link anything pre-bake node hook into anything post-bake node to prevent inconsistency. Ideally, there would be a small amount of smoothing to make up for the lower resolution.

This idea is, I like my major terrain features at 512 but I want to further detail it at higher resolutions. If I set my res to 1024 all my large terrain features that result from erosion are replaced with smaller details.

monkschain

Have you considered using the Checkpoint device?

monks

Ben

Is that the actual name of the device? I am unable to find anything. I looked through my devices, through help and the forum.

Thanks.

nikita

The Checkpoint device has been removed during beta testing and it wouldn't help you in it's current implementation.

But having different resolutions in one file has been suggested before and might make its way into WM sooner or later. :)
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

Ben

Great, glad to hear it's already on the table. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview