• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2019, 09:31:33 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Faster gaussian blur - early bailing based on mask

Started by Beherith, February 12, 2014, 03:30:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Beherith

February 12, 2014, 03:30:00 am Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:34:27 am by Beherith
Often times Blur devices are very expensive for me (I probably use too much of them with too high radii anyway), even if i'm only using them masked off on small parts of the terrain.

Would it be a good idea to check if the mask value is zero before calculating the gaussian blur of a pixel? This could be applied to other slow devices as well.

EDIT: it just occured to me that gaussian blur seems to be a 2 pass algorithm, (cause its ordo linear with kernel size), so implementing this might not be straightforward.

Stephen

Hi there,

Funny enough, the next major feature branch release includes a new blur algorithm that, in exchange for a slight reduction in blur smoothness compared to full Gaussian blur, gains massive speed improvements at large world resolutions where the huge kernel size of a regular Gaussian blur becomes prohibitive -- like dozens to thousands of times faster depending on the exact scenario!
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview