• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2019, 09:40:33 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Import 2D Reference map & assessment for large scale project

Started by Finrod, August 07, 2015, 10:35:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Finrod

Hey everyone!
Few days ago I started exploring the world of possibilities that World Machine offers and ended up getting myself the latest Pro version.

I want to realise a larger personal project, that is creating the terrain for a Minecraft server (If you're nor familiar with that term, no problem, in the end I just need a completely normal height map). However the map shall not just look awesome and as realistic as possible, but also has to match very specific expections regarding where mountains / mountain ridges, rivers, swamps and so on will be placed; this shall be defined by a 2D map. With my yet limited knowledge and experience in WM I planned to use a Layout Generator for every terrain feature, this can be entire mountain ranges per generator or only a single peak. However to place these at the right spot it would be incredibly helpful to get the map somehow into WM; the best case scenario I could image would be a simple device with the map, so that if you then lock the view on that device and enter a layout generator you would see the map and then could easily place curves and similar.
If there is another easier way to achieve my goals, please tell me as complete newbie to WM  :D

Secondly I'd like to have an assessment on whether the scale I'm aiming at is workable (technically) or whether that is beyond what "normal" machines or WM can handle: The minecraft server map will be really big (around 40'000 x 30'000 blocks) The program I'm gonna use after the WM work (to add materials and vegetation) usually takes 1px = 1 block, I could scale e.g. a 20k x 15k map up by factor 2 but the reason I choose WM is to get that incredible terrain detail, and I dont want to lose that.
So below you find my PC specs, attached to it shall be the question: Will I be able to export a 40k x 30k heightmap with my PC, a) using Tiled Rendering, b) classic single file rendering (would be easier to import into next program), c) do i have to reckon with significant issues (performance, crashes)?

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPU's)
RAM: 32 GB
Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series

Thanks a lot for every hint or answer!

ozdeadmeat

With River1 release there is currently a bug that stops Tiled Builds from working. River2 is about to drop in the next month or so hopefully so keep an eye out on the Announcements forum.

I am running a similar spec'd machine. (64GB RAM instead). If your doing a 1px/m resolution you will struggle especially if your attempting to output more than 1 texture at a time. I built a 40960x40960 texture and it used up about 28GB of RAM. Note: If you attempt to output more than 1 texture I would recommend saving the project first then rendering a single image, closing the application and then render the next image.(don't forget to save it to disk) The reason for this is that World Machine will keep that previous image output in memory, you see where this is going if you need to do multiple.

Good luck and welcome to the community :)

Regards,

OzDeaDMeaT

P.S. I am new here also

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview