• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

April 21, 2019, 06:13:17 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Suggested update to Vue import directions

Started by mentalstrike, August 25, 2015, 02:26:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstrike

Hey everyone. I registered for an account, but I wanted to post this before I forgot the process. So here goes:

If you're like me, and import your World Machine creations into Vue for finishing, you may have run into the issue where the terrain never quite looks exactly how it looks in World Machine. I wanted to share my process on how I finally figured out how to get it looking right. I'm not the best at explaining things, so this might get a little rambly.

First thing I did was look at the altitude constraints in World Machine. I set mine to a nice round number that I could easily remember, in this case, 2600 meters. I made my terrain, then exported as a 16-bit TIFF. Pulling it into Vue, I noticed that the height maximum there was 384 meters, which would definitely contribute to the terrain not looking the same. So what I did was divide 384 by 2600, which gave me a value of approximately 0.147. That means that the terrain was about 15% the height of the original. Looking back now, what I did doesn't make sense, but it seems to have worked. I set the mix of the TIFF image on a blank terrain in VUE to 85%, which added to the 15% makes 100%, at least that's the logic I had in my head. Now the terrain looked to be about the same height, but the detail wasn't there. On a whim, I hit the retopologize button with a looseness value of 1, and after some churning, and a warning that the terrain now exceeded over a million polygons, all the beautiful details I had created in World Machine were there!

So, to summarize, I think that the World Machine to Vue directions should include the suggestion to try hitting the retopologize button with a looseness of 1 to get the full detail of the World Machine document. Not sure if this has been addressed anywhere else, I hadn't seen it, that's why I thought to put it here, where users of World Machine are likely to see it first.

WFab

Hi,

There's a simpler method to get the most out of wm terrain in vue. Retopo creates an unnecessary detail that's not uniform and a bit too heavy for a render, specially with other scene elements, like plants and atmosphere. Instead follow this method.

1. Build your terrain out from wm
2. In vue, create a standard terrain, and go to the terrain editor
3. Reset height, so that terrain is a flat plane
4. Now on top, there's a 2 icons labled "/2" and "x2". Below those is the effective resolution of the terrain. Click "x2" Till the effective resolution is equal to the terrain heightmap resolution you exported from wm.
5. Now import your terrain heightmap.

Your terrain should now be as detailed as you built it in wm. There are various tutorials on youtube to help you accomplish this, I recommend the one by geekatplay studio.

blattacker

September 02, 2015, 10:20:38 pm #2 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:14:12 pm by blattacker
Well, apparently my account got approved while I wasn't paying attention. In any case, I tried that method, but for some reason, details were still missing. Generally speaking, it was small scale details, such as flow lines and stuff like that. I'd tried both procedural terrains and standard terrains, and neither was giving me the detail that I had in World Machine. Perhaps I'm missing a step here? I've heard a lot about the Geekatplay tutorials, I'll check them out right now, thanks.

EDIT
Figured out what was probably my issue. I did not realize that you could resize the terrain more than just stretching it, I'll try that out right now.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview