• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2019, 03:29:00 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Tiled Terrain

Started by aguru, March 03, 2009, 04:08:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aguru

Hello, I have a problem with exporting tiled terrains. After generating the tiles I get (for all lines in the tiles export window) and error about failed merging. The strange thing is, the merge tiles after build option is *off*. When I enable it I get only one heightmap but export works as expected. Anyone have any suggestions?

nikita

Where exactly is the problem? From your description it sounds like WM fails at a task you didn't want to be done anyway.
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

aguru

Maybe I was not clear, sorry.

I want to export tiled terrain but cannot. When the tiles have been generated in the "Tiled Build" window (100% for all tiles), in the "State" column I can see a "MERGING" and after that a "Merge FAILED" for all tiles.
The export is not written to disk. The thing is: I have *not* selected the "Merge output into single file after build" checkbox in the "Tiled Ouput Setup". So why is it trying to merge anyway? Or is that normal?

nikita

Ok, THAT is a problem... WM has a temp-folder for temporary files somewhere where it puts tiles that are to be merged.
Check if they're there after the build but before you click ok on the Merge Failed warning.
Maybe WM is looking in the wrong folder - so look into both documents and settings... and WMs folger in c:/programs/...
(no, it's not normal)

I'll also test this issue myself now.
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

aguru

You were right. I double-checked all paths of my many output nodes and also unchecked the box "use world file location as default path" in the options. Its working now. Thanks for your help :)

nikita

Ok, so how many bugs do we have here ^^
1."use world file location as default path" somehow conflicts with the path for temp files.
2. Even with merging disabled, WM tries to merge the tiles, or at least says it does, though no merged output is being saved to disk
and another small one plus a typo I encountered while testing this *gg*

Glad it works for you now and thanks for finding/reporting those bugs. :)
Richard Buckland

nikita

A small update on bug 2: It's not a bug. As Stephen told me, "merging" in this context means that the seams are being removed, the tiles do not actually get merged.
Richard Buckland

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview