• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 15, 2019, 09:26:43 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Questions on erosion.

Started by smoth, June 07, 2010, 04:30:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

smoth

Because erosion has issues with tiled builds. I would like to know, how do I limit how far it spreads? Say for example:

When I attempt to get this level of erosion at cliff edges it bleeds over into the near by fields and things.

I have been experimenting with various masks but they are costly when we are talking large scale terrain. I would like to have the channels dig in but not go very far just stay and eat within a certain distance of the start of the erosion while still cutting deep.
I develop maps for my RTS game gundam RTS. Look it up sometime to see how powerful wm2 can be!

nikita

I don't think there's a way to get around the cost of the erosion device.
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

Stephen

to get that sort of gully erosion, you'll want to use a channeled erosion with rock hardness set to a moderately high value.

Using masks to control the location of the erosion really is your best bet. If you pipe in a high-slopes mask to the erosion device, you should be able to constrain the erosion to just your cliffsides.

Cost of erosion wise, setting a high channeling value should allow you to reduce the base duration down to, say, 40, which will make the erosion proceed much faster.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

smoth

I develop maps for my RTS game gundam RTS. Look it up sometime to see how powerful wm2 can be!

edgeArchitect

This looks like wind erosion,

Land particles get spread out more evenly across the whole landscape because of their light weight, instead of being washed down.

So, the deposit distribution/spread has to have a pretty high value. Togather with the rock hardness set to the max.
Ruslan Vasylev

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview