• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 16, 2019, 07:46:27 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Height issues for Tiled Exports of a Large Main Extent

Started by Houndie, January 14, 2011, 09:44:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndie

Been working my way through learning WM2 and am getting better as I go, I've been able to create a decent land mass with a couple mountain areas and some lowlands but when the main extent is spread across a larger area to see the whole area that I want to export everything seems flatter.  Even when I tile build it all I have to increase the height exponentially in order to get any real height from the height maps.

Do I have to export things with multiple extent views instead of one large one or am I missing something?  When I display using a smaller extent then I see proper height.  I'm trying to make large mountain passes with lower land surrounding them but instead I get big hills.

Ideas?

nikita

"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

Houndie

Yep and I get that :) the question is really is doing tiled exports of more extents the way to do it or is there an easier way to go about getting higher detail on heights and such?  The management of extents is a bit of a pain especially when you are trying to get them all to line up properly.

nikita

When you increased your main extent, did you also increase Normal Build Resolution in the World Extents menu accordingly?
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

Houndie

Hmm no i dont beleive so as i wasnt aware i had to actually :) still a noob .. i will check that out thanks!

Houndie

Actually scratch that, yes I did but didnt realize the two were linked in that fashion.  I've increased the resolution to 4096 and split the tiles up to 8x8 to get what I am getting

monkschain

January 30, 2011, 06:50:06 am #6 Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:05:54 am by monkschain
 I kinda have this problem too sometimes- the heights are not appreciable. Sometimes it would be nice to have a vertical exaggerate. In Wilbur there is a lighting intensity slider which alters the light shading on the terrain. It doesn't actually alter the terrain heights, just the lighting as far as I'm aware, but it does achieve the same visual result. Wilbur only has a 2D top down view though- maybe this wouldn't work at all in 3D. I know we can use devices to do this but I always max out my terrain height in the altitude scaling, but sometimes that's still not enough

monks

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview