• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2019, 10:52:17 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Using real world models

Started by rosoule, January 14, 2011, 02:33:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rosoule

I am thinking of investing in WM, but I really want to import real world elevation models, etc. Looked over the help files and website and still not sure if that's possible.
Can someone direct me to that information so I don't waste too much time.

nikita

There is a small, free program floating around on the internet called 3DEM. It loads Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) in various formats and can export them into various different formats. At least one of them (.ter) definitely works in World Machine too.
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

lordsme

I do use .ter files originated from DEM and haven't found any particular problem.

The only thing is that project  extents and height must be reset by hand: when I import .ter files they don't come sized correctly.

monkschain

Yes, this is easy to do. You just have to be careful of setting the correct scaling. You import the terrain via a File input device. WM supports a fair  few formats now.

monks

Nav

Global mapper is also great for loading DEM's as well as allot of other formats then being able to convert this to .ter files for WM.

monkschain

Global Mapper? Wouldn't be without it!  :) The good thing about it is that it outputs .ter, (both Terragen and Leveller I think), bt, and it also has full support for hf2/hfz, the compressed terrain format we all put together on the Terrain Summit forums. I say "we" ...I mean the developers of course. hf2/ hfz also supports georeferencing in the extended header.

monks

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview