• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2019, 04:07:19 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Start up tmd

Started by EmDee1, February 27, 2011, 02:24:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

Hi there,
I'm new on the forum. Hope someone can answer my question. Recently I bought a new PC, Windows7. I want to change the startup.tmd file, but always get the message: "access denied to startup.tmd". Probably it has somethinhg to do with Windows7 security, but till now I haven't been able to solve this. Maybe someone else had the same issue and managed to solve it? In that case I would appreciate if you could help me out here. Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
Mario

Stephen

In Windows 7/ Vista, writing or changing things in the Program Files folder is illegal except with explicit administrator position. Because of this, WM has changed where it stores the startup.tmd file.

Unlike earlier versions, in WM 2.2, this file is stored in your "User\My Documents\World Machine Documents" folder. You can write to this file with no issues.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

EmDee1

RoyalT

Hi,

I don't understand. I have Windows 7.
Can I not change the startup file?

- Terje

Stephen

Hi Terje,

You can certainly change it! That's why its there, to give you a default world that fits your common uses.

As stated above, in WM 2.2 the startup file is stored at in the User\My Documents\World Machine Documents folder. (Assuming you choose the default document paths during installation)

You should have no issues writing to the file at that location.

-- Stephen Schmitt

RoyalT

But this folder does not exist on my computer :shock: Hehe.

- Terje

Stephen

Are you running WM 2.2? If not, upgrading is the first step as it is a very large improvement over earlier editions.

When you are installing 2.2, it will ask you during the first-run dialog if you want to create document folders, keep that checked and it will create it for you.

Otherwise, you can create the folder yourself anywhere you want, copy the file startup.tmd from the Program Files\World Machine ... folder to there, and then go into Preferences->paths and set the documents path to the location you've set. Note that this is also important for being able to save macros and such, since writing to the Program Files folder is forbidden in vista/7.
-- Stephen Schmitt

RoyalT

Alright. I found it. It was just in a odd place  :lol:
Many thanks  :)

- Terje

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview