• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2019, 05:01:21 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

32bit Standard to 64bit?

Started by Spreenix, June 04, 2011, 10:34:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spreenix

I have my WM-Standard installed on a 64bitPC with Win7. Previously as 32bit program in the x86 ordner. After the beta- update I have now a 64bit Application? My question because I believe WM works slower. I still have to check this.

jaf

Not sure about win7 (I'm using winXP x64) but both the standard 32 bit and the 64 bit versions get installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\World Machine 2 Professional\" the normal 32 bit program directory.  I can choose either through the start menu.

I would like to see a version type (x32 or x64) in the Help|About message or maybe up in the window title bar.

Stephen

You should still have both 32bit and 64bit versions installed. Running "World Machine" will run the 32bit, and "World Machine 64bit" the 64.

I agree there should be a version indicator in the program itself. Will add.

Can you provide more details about where it feels slower? In the UI, while building, etc, and by how much?

2.3 seems like a small change but internally many many things were refactored to clear the way for some upcoming changes, so virtually every aspect of the core was touched. Thus I'm very interested in performance markers.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

jaf

I didn't put the last pre-beta version back on, but I did notice a rather surprising difference between the x32 and x64 beta builds.  I tested with a small tmd with a few macros --- small memory build so there wouldn't be an advantage for x64.

It appears macros are faster in x32.

Stephen

very interesting, I'll have to investigate. It most likely is a build-setting-related issue.
-- Stephen Schmitt

Spreenix

Thanks jaf,

I can confirm this. The WM 2.3 is slower than the version before the update. A higher processing speed I only get through the 2 threads.

Stephen

I haven't yet been able to find a significant speed difference between 2.2 and 2.3Beta-1 on the benchmark tests I've run so far.

Jaf, can you send me your test TMD so I can compare on your test case?

Spreenix, can you provide me with more information on what you mean, and what versions / test environments you're reporting on?

Thanks guys!
-- Stephen Schmitt

jaf

Quote from: Remnant on June 07, 2011, 01:42:38 am

Jaf, can you send me your test TMD so I can compare on your test case?

Thanks guys!

Done

Stephen

Interesting. Running the test file you send me jaf, I get the opposite result: a marginal improvement in build times between 2.2 and 2.3!

2.4ghz Core2 Quad

2.2 64: 1m25 200%
2.2 32: 1m26 200%

2.3 64: 1m19 199%
2.3 32: 1m20 199%

WM 2.3 changed the way that datapackets are stored; in particular it moved the collection of them from being stored with the device to being stored in a central location. My hunch is that we're seeing a decrease vs improvement because of different caching behavior across CPU architecture.

Interesting. Will have to think more on what that means for any improvements in this area.
-- Stephen Schmitt

Stephen

The only other thing I can imagine might be responsible is thread synchronization overhead, possibly relating to the OS.

Can you re-run your test jaf but set # of threads to 1 and uncheck devices can multithread in the preferences and see if your numbers are still depressed with 2.3?
-- Stephen Schmitt

jaf

June 07, 2011, 05:40:54 pm #10 Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:22:39 pm by jaf
Hi Stephen,

I turned off the device threading and set the max threads to 1.  Got about the same results.  May be operating system specific or my AMD 4800+ x2 CPU (I'm using the hardware in my signature.)

A suggestion...... Would it be a good idea to add a button to the build message that would save the build info to a text or XML file?  Or maybe make the build text copyable?   I've been doing screen captures, which work, but it would be faster and easier to simply copy in a text file to the forum message.

Stephen

-- Stephen Schmitt

lonelystar

why WM2.2 can't runs on  computer to 32bit?

lonelystar

My english is poor,so,Can't express myself clearly,World Machine can't runs on my computer,my computer is a 32bit? how can i do?

Stephen

lonelystar, WM definitely can run on 32bit systems. 2 versions are always installed, a 32bit is the default and in the Professional Edition (and the Standard edition for the upcoming 2.3) there is an additional 64bit edition that can be launched.

Just an update, 2.3 Beta-2 with a 4-core system is down to 55.6s on that benchmark (Thermal Weathering multithreading is responsible for the improvement)
-- Stephen Schmitt

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview