Author Topic: Some UI suggestions  (Read 2685 times)

Bira3D

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Some UI suggestions
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
I've started to use World Machine not too long ago. After sometime searching for resources and tutorials, I was very impressed how powerful this lightweight program is.
I cannot talk about bugs or program's new features, since I'm still learning.

World Machine is such an unique program. I like the workflow and the UI style in general.

Since this is a beta release you could:

Experiment different icons, say, more "modern", "standard" or even "stylish" ones, like New, Open, Save, etc, but also Build, Build to Current Device and Tiled Build.

Experiment different fonts...

Give options for UI and background colors. (gradated?)

The community could help providing you with ideas for icons, for example.

You could make changes and post screenshots for community feedback and opinions...

It doesn't have to look like this or that program necessarily, but say, who doesn't like to see their best lady in a new dress?

My regards and admiration for creating this wonderful program.
Fun and mental is fundamental

jaf

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Some UI suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
I like the way it looks.  After reading your post, I took some time and looked at several of my applications, like Terragen2, Lightwave, Photoshop, and Zbrush.  They all seem to have a unique look.

Personlly, I tend to look at small details, things like tab order and default values.  For example, there's an application I use a lot, but it aggravates me when I want to do something simple like change RGB values. What I expect is, if I click in the "R" field and enter a value, if I hit Tab I will be advanced to the "G" field, ready for that entry.  But no, it goes to a different data field in the same area and it takes a couple more Tabs to finally get to "G".

However, there are three buttons I would change, just a little bit; the Build, Build to Current Device, and Tiled Build. Of course it depends on the platform used to build the application too, and don't know what Stephen is using (to build WM.) I would try to smooth them out to something like this:

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Some UI suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »
I'm definitely open to UI tweaks!

Please post any and all suggestions. UI improvements are some of the most time consuming to make, so I can't say that (m)any will get implemented right away, but look and feel IS important.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine