• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 16, 2019, 08:02:18 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Question about Varied Terrain

Started by JackoWords, June 20, 2011, 01:03:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackoWords

Hey everyone- I'm new to World Machine, and to procedural world generation tools in general, and so (unsurprisingly) I have a question. ;)

After playing around with World Machine a bit, I'm loving how you can create interesting terrain of a certain type. The question I have is: how do you make your worlds varied? For instance- let us say I want my world to comprise a sea area, then a plain, rising to hills, and finally ending on mountains? From my limited understanding of the software so far, I haven't been able to see how to accomplish this. Each world seems to be one kind of terrain, depending on how you set up your devices.

I did see that in the professional edition there is 'tiling', which I assume *might* be what I am looking for?

Comments would be appreciated, and thanks. :)

Stephen

Hi there!

Like many questions there is more than one way to do this. A typical solution would use Combiners and Choosers to put together different types of terrain into the same map!

I've attached an example that might help show what I mean:

There are two different types of terrain, and a water area. There are two layout devices used to control which terrain is distributed where, and to control the area that will be water. Take a look at the attached TMD to see how you can manipulate the various parts.

Is this along the lines of what you are asking?
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

RoyalT

Or you can use the "Layout Mode" and create it just the way you want it =)
It may not be ideal if you're creating very large scenes like in Stephen's example. It would at least take you a very long time.

Stephen

That is a very good point!

There are actually many solutions, ranging along a continuum:

Fully Procedural    <->   Guided Procedural     <->   Fully Manual

And all of the options can be done within World Machine. Layouts work for both guiding procedural generators and creating shapes on their own.

Before World Machine 2, the Fully Procedural option was the most common and popular, but it is also the most difficult to conceptualize. Thus the usefulness of layouts
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview