Author Topic: Tiled build progress indicators aren't working very well.  (Read 2716 times)

Eric Cosky

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Nothing major here, just wanted to let you know about some minor bugs in the tiled build progress window. It doesn't appear to affect functionality, it just isn't showing accurate progress information.

In the attached pic you will see the tiled build progress window.
The number of heightfields used is in the negative, and the number of active threads seems wrong ( >100%).
At one point, the progress column for all tiles was at 100% yet there was still a lot of work going on.
Also, the green progress bar sometimes went backwards.

Thanks

Eric Cosky

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tiled build progress indicators aren't working very well.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
Also, the peak memory usage appears to always often be the same as the current memory used.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:12:17 PM by Eric Cosky »

Tangled-Universe

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »
I've never seen negative heightfieldnumbers, but all the other behaviour you described I've seen before.
I too wonder what that >100% thing is, but if I recall correctly WM2.2 also showed that. Maybe it's by design?
What I do think is by design is that the green progress bar is an estimation.

To add: in a project I had an inverter (as 2nd device in the network!) which took a minute to be calculated(!), but the dialogue said 0.05 sec.

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
The threading % number goes above 100% by design.

100% = Single threaded baseline.  I scaled the number like this to make it easier to compare across platforms with differing CPU counts.

So if your build reports 300% threading, you have approximately 3 CPU-units working on the terrain during the life of the build. The number should be treated as a roughly accurate but not absolute report, as it is simply sampling the active thread count during the build to determine this.

Memory used and Peak memory used are likewise sampled during the build. Peak differs from current depending on the network -- many networks will have "burst points" that require a lot of memory, then reduce down. Peak tells you what the maximum used memory at any point during the build was.

Tiled build heightfields used was not being calculated correctly and thus could go negative. This reporting issue should be fixed for 2.3b2.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine