Author Topic: Preferences: Preview Resolution  (Read 3267 times)

martink

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Preferences: Preview Resolution
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
Not sure if this was discussed yet, but It would be awesome if we could get a few more pixels of preview resolution.
It being set to 160 is fine and good, but sometimes I really dont want to build out results while I am making some tweaks. if I could set it to 384, or 512 and see a tiny bit more detail, that would be awesome. There is a fine line where interactivity is lost, but with computers constantly getting faster, this should be set to 160 by default, but the option for bumping it up should also be provided.

cheers :) ( love the app )

marmil

• World Machine Guru
  • Slightly faster then your average marmot.
    • View Profile
Re: Preferences: Preview Resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:35:14 PM »
I agree.  I think I would like this as well.

(I also agree with loving the app  :))

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Preferences: Preview Resolution
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Yes, this is definitely possible.

Since the time required varies as something like the cube of the preview size, small increases can "blow up" the amount of time taken. Still, with modern systems and the fact that most of the slowest devices are now multithreaded, the upper end can be increased.

I've boosted the maximum up to 256; its up to the user to find the best setting for their system.

Also, I definitely have a plan to make the previews actually be decoupled from your interaction from the world, as well as multi-phase (so you get a lower-res preview then a finer one). Down the road...
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine