• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

August 17, 2019, 08:54:31 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Full Planet Terrains and it can be done.

Started by Hepcat, January 06, 2012, 11:08:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

I know this has come up a lot.  I found some information online about how to generate the Perlin noise so the deformation from the poles is taken into account.

"The exact appearance of the texture can be controlled by either varying the relative scaling of the harmonics or by adjusting how the scalar from the Perlin functions is mapped to colour and/or transparency.

It gets around the problem of mapping rectangular texture images onto topologically different surfaces. For example, the following texture for a sun was created using 3D noise and evaluating the points using the same mapping as will be used when the texture is mapped onto a sphere. The result is that the texture will map without pinching at the poles and there will not be any seams on the left and right."

If you look at the attached file it shows what the perlin looks like.  The above quote tells how they sampled a sphere out of 3D perlin to get it.  I'm hoping something similar can be done to let the "natural filters" work in the same way.  Erosion filter is what makes WM terrains really look so great.  Here is the link to the original site: http://paulbourke.net/texture_colour/perlin/index.html

We are working towards an engine with full scale completely procedurally generated terrains where we can move from space to any point on the surface.  We have been able to make some incredible terrains but getting them to work on a planet/sphere as been problematic.

JBT27

Just to second that one - it would be of great interest to my work as well.

Julian.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview