• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 18, 2019, 09:17:27 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Program-Machine?

Started by Nipash, April 22, 2012, 07:52:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipash

This isn't really a feature request but this was the nearest category so......

I downloaded World Machine in 2009 and it was a revelation. I had no previous experience with anything related to terrains, programming, image editing, etc... Playing around in the editor for several hours or so -and looking at the sample programs-  I was able to work out how to rig up complex terrain generation "circuits". I promptly bought the standard version (made by a Washingtonian like me  :D) and the rest is history. Fast forward and with 2 years of practice or so I am creating multi-nested macros with hundreds of devices inside of them. All without ever having read a "manual" (I did reference the device index) or recieving any instruction whatsoever. It all makes sense to me since everything is laid out visually in front of my eyes.... one thing that made reading so hard for me in school. Now I know that seems a little like bragging but I have shown World-Machine to several of my freinds and they have all said similar things. Which all got me thinking:

Why isn't there a way to write C++ programs in the same way you rig up terrain circuits in World-Machine? World Machine is written in C++, so it really is just a larger version of that. You could have each int or char be different blocks, and have adding, subtracting, etc.. blocks. You could also create macros, so when your program gets really large you can simplifying it modularizing the components. I do not have any previous programming experience (I have tried to learn though 3 times) but I do think it would make it drastically more easy for beginners like me. Now, I know there are visual programming languages like scratch and others. But they aren't really powerful, just things to teach kids the basics of programming so they can move onto a text-based editor. I really do think it would be a great hit with beginning programmers if an environment like this was created........ come on stephen, you know you want to :P
Rigs of Rods Terrain Maker Current Projects:

SEMI Tropics: Coming Soon!

Stephen

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words!

About programming in a World Machine-like way, I've actually seen lots of people try to work on this idea, mostly in a research/academic setting but I believe there's at least a couple commercial entries out there too. It's definitely an interesting and exciting area of research, and I"ve seen several attempts to do exactly that. I'm not sure of how well they are progressing though.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview