Author Topic: Maximum World Size - Normal and Tiled Build Resolution  (Read 6271 times)

Takulas

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Maximum World Size - Normal and Tiled Build Resolution
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Hi,

I just purchased WM2 and I have to say that it`s just brilliant. I love it. :D
The reason I started this thread is that the maximum world size I can build is 16384x16384 pixels. To be honest I was hopping to something like 32k or 64k pixels world size.
Hardware wise I have a decent machine: Win7, i7 970 @4.2GHz, 24 GB Ram, 2 x crucial M4 128 Gb in raid 0, etc...
I was even planning to upgrade to a dedicated raid card and buy 4 SSDs especially for World Machine projects. The thing is that I need to build huge huge worlds.
The amount of Ram it`s not a problem yet. I`m saying that because I used a 512 pixels 16 bit tiff as file input and the other device it was the Overlay view. As you can see from the screen capture, the amount of memory used by WM2 it was around 20 GB Ram, 4 GB less than my installed memory.
Because of all these It thought to start this thread here, in the beta section.
Cheers,

T

jaf

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum World Size - Normal and Tiled Build Resolution
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »
I only have 4gb of memory, so I can't check this, but did you try it with "conserve memory" checked on the project settings?

Takulas

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
Yep. Nothing change. The interesting thing is that if I check the "Conserve Memory" option, the amount of used memory displayed in the scene settings is the same. It really gives me the feeling that it behaves like it "wasn't planned" to build that big.
Thanks anyway. It doesn`t hurt a double check. :)

monkschain

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:07:53 AM »
Takulas, this is not a tiled build- you are showing a single file output there, so you are almost certainly pushing up against file format limitations. I maybe wrong but, for example, you'll find that png maxes out at around 20K pixels. Having a single file build is not just limited by RAM. If you build tiled, keeping the individual tile sizes within certain limits, you'll easily get what you want- your hd space will then be the limiter.

monks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:09:32 AM by monkschain »

Takulas

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:45:20 AM »
It is working, and it`s working great. I managed from the first try to build a 64kx64k world size tiled terrain.
Great piece of software. My love for it, it just growing and growing.
Many thanks
And sorry for the noobbish and rushed conclusion.
The next logical step: start with the manual.  :)